• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bocca

rich

Standard Manhattan upscale Italian-restaurant prices. Some things like pastas in the teens, with some of the special entrees in the upper thirties and everything in between.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

FG - I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sorry I couldn't join you last night.

I'm not sure if Staten Islanders really understand the place. I've been there three times in the last few months and it's never been crowded. I've asked a few locals to join me and most never heard of it or don't know it's changed (even though the SI Advance did a fill page spread in their food section.)

I agree about dessert - not worth it. But since I'm not a dessert person, that doesn't matter much to me.

Hopefully, it will catch on - I would hate to see it close.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Wine service is excellent, with all reds being decanted and served in large Spiegelau stems.

FG - Did you notice the Spiegelau decanter with the spout? It's on sale this month in the Wine Enthusiast! It's one of the more unique decanters I've seen. I'm considering..... :wink:

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

FG, what were the prices like?

Nina - Are you considering a visit??? Would love to have you!!!

Rich Schulhoff

FG - Did you notice the Spiegelau decanter with the spout?

You mean the one that looks like an overweight, evil bird from outer space? Yeah, I could go for one of those. Are you sure it's Spiegelau, though? I thought it was Riedel.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Based on descriptions thus far, including that of the estimable FG (who inexplicably failed to invite me to join him on this outing), this is an Italian-American restaurant, as opposed to an Italian restaurant.

Since I can drink good wines at fair prices at home anytime, the opportunity to do so in a restaurant would also have to include the promise of a rewarding meal. And while descriptions of correctly prepared Dover sole, and even gnocchi Bolognese, are very nice, sufficient inducement for this trek they do not make, even with the entertainment value of the decor thrown in. The gotta-go-there list is too long. And yours is very much longer than mine, FG. What made you do this?

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

I was riding along and my friend was paying. He said, "Let's go to one of them Italian places in the boroughs," and I said, "I heard about a new one," and he said, "Okay." I e-mailed Rich for directions and we were off.

As you are someone who appreciates aesthetics, I do hope you'll lay eyes on the place someday. But overall I don't see it as your kind of restaurant. Staten Islanders are lucky to have it, but it's probably not worth the drive out there from Manhattan unless you have a specific wine mission or you just feel like an adventure. But since the adventure gets you to a place that is trying to be non-borough-like, you can't go out there expecting a Manducatis, Roberto's, or Bamonte's-like experience.

Rich, is this the one:

P5457B.jpg

That's a Riedel Crystal Dove. I think that's what I saw.

This, I think, was the standard decanter they used at most every table:

P12739B.jpg

That's the Spiegelau Vivendi.

By the way, last week I wandered into Parkside, that much-touted Italian restaurant in Corona Heights (just to have a look - we had gone to Leo's Latticino and Corona Heights Pork Store). No vintages on the wine list. Pfpfpfpf. I gotta get my arse to Manducatis.

Rich, is this the one:

P5457B.jpg

That's a Riedel Crystal Dove. I think that's what I saw.

Steve - it's similar but that's not the one. The one I'm describing actually pours from a very thin spout and the wine is decanted into a larger opening on the opposite end.

I don't have the Wine Enthusiast in front of me, but it normally sells for $279 and is on sale for $250. There's also a 10% discount listed on the cover of the most recent catalog.

Nina - Parkeside never puts vintages on the list - a major fault. But they will check what vintages are available if you ask. The wine list is not their strong suit. (The Robert Pepi Sangiovese is probably the safest bet.) So here's a suggestion for a one night visit to Queens - go to Maducatti's for the wine, eat at Parkside, on the way back through Brooklyn stop at Bamonte's for dessert.

The next day it could be Roberto's for lunch and Bocca for wine and dinner, but don't order dessert. Stop for that at Brooklyn's Fiorentino's.

Rich Schulhoff