• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sour

ThinkingBartender

X-posted from Drinkboy forum:

I am working on an article which will feature the Daisy, but some early recipes say that it is simply a Sour with the addition of curacao, or chartreuse (yellow). Does anyone have a selection of recipes for the Sour that they can post?

One of the reasons I am asking is that Jerry Thomas' Sour recipe is hardly sour at all, calling for 3 dashes of Lemon Juice, while the Daisy recipe calls for the juice of half a lemon; this is quite a difference in flavour. The JT sour does seem to just be a Punch but why did it get classified as a Sour?

Also when did the squirt of soda get phased out from the Sour category?

I have compiled an extensive list of Daisy Recipes over on the webtender wiki, and would love to do the same for the Sour, anyone care to help me in this endeavour? Just post your recipes here, and I will add them to the wiki.

Thanks!

George