• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stamatis

Daniel

Stamatis Restaurant

(718) 204-8964

31-14 Broadway

Long Island City(Astoria), NY 11106

On my way back from Laguardia today, I stopped over at Stamatis.. Going under the N train on 31st st towards the 59th St Bridge, I made quick left on Broadway

and parked right in front.. The place itself is bright, clean, and the majority of the customers were Greek Families have large lunches sharing family style..

gallery_15057_2971_102322.jpg

The three of us have not had Greek Food in some time.. Deciding from the menu was difficult.. I really wanted a big piece of feta served with a little olive oil.. There were steamed dandelion greens that looked great, lamb chops, fried smelts, grilled quails, baby shark with feta and jalapenos, many choices to choose from.. I dont think we could have went wrong..

We started with an assortment of dips..Thinking that we had a better chance of the little one liking one of the 5 dips.. She enjoyed most of them..

My favorite being the spicy feta dip

gallery_15057_2971_154967.jpg

The waiter also brought us a plate of fried zucchini with a garlicky potato dip.. I think thats what it was.. He had an extra one so he gave it to us.. This was really a great dish.. Well fried vegetables.. You could scoop the dip up with the chips..This was great and would order this before the sampler next time..

gallery_15057_2971_19284.jpg

The little one loves octopus.. This was char grilled.. It had a perfect crispy caramelized crust.. Served with a really fruity olive oil, lemon,red wine vinegar, a little capers and a bit of oregano. A piece of this, with a little bread, and a shot of the spicy feta..It was a good combo..Besides being great on its own..

gallery_15057_2971_154993.jpg

"Tell me about the grilled black sea bass" I asked.. "The red snapper is just so fresh right now" the waiter responded.. "So what are you telling me about the black sea bass for" Its so refreshing and surprising when places take fish into such consideration.. Often times fish is an after thought. Its not good, its not bad, its just an option on the menu. The thing was just gorgeous.. This was not a single serving fish, it could have easily fed 4 adults.. Served with salt and pepper, it was perfectly charred.. The skin was crispy, the meat was juicy and beautifully white.. Served with roasted lemon and a couple of carrots.. Any thing else would have taken away from the presentation.. We often order whole grilled or fried fish and this was the best I can remember in a long time.

It was 30 dollars and could have passed for 50 somewhere else..

gallery_15057_2971_190474.jpg

Gigantes in a tomato sauce..

gallery_15057_2971_110348.jpg

Lemon potatoes..

gallery_15057_2971_6578.jpg

Free desserts, I think come with every meal.. One was very grainy, the other a custard wrapped in a honey soaked pastry shell.. We ordered some Greek coffee as well.

gallery_15057_2971_98353.jpg

We went next door and bought crayons and a tablet for the little one. She sat and colored at the table.

gallery_15057_2971_105395.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 2 months later...

Hey Daniel, I just got to read this - thanks for the great review! Stamatis has two locations, one on Broadway and one on 23rd Ave. They've been working on the new building for the 23rd Ave location, which I hope will make for a nice place for a Greek meal. Anyway, I'm going to check out Stamatis very soon. The 23rd Ave location is right in my neighborhood, but the Broadway location is not far. The Stamatis on 23rd Ave has a hot buffet in the front, too, for takeout.

Great pictures, too! Glad you enjoyed your time in the wonderful neighborhood of Astoria.

Thanks Meg, its been awhile since I have gone back here.. I might have to go back and get that hunk of feta.. :biggrin:

If you go to the Broadway location you are not far from the Parisi Bakery.. I believe its on the NE corner of 31st street.. I would go to the location in Manhattan when my commute would put me in the area. I dont know if the Queens location has a deli, but the breads are worth checking out..

I grew up in Astoria and can vouch or Parisi bread. For many, many years my family enjoyed Penna restuarant next to Parisi under the el. Next door to Parisi used to be Walken's bakery (as in Christopher Walken) and I believe Lidia Bastianich worked there for many years.

Stamatis has wonderful food. "Ploes" a little further up Broadway bet. 33 34sts has great Greek food specializing in Mezze. Taverna Kyclades on Ditmars and 33rd is great too, although the wait can be very long.

I always get my Greek "supplies" from Medditerranean Foods. They have 2 locations. One under the el at 23rd ave and the other bet. 30 and 31 ave on 34 street. I like their service better than Titan Foods under the el. Although Titan is larger, the service isn't as polite.

Stamatis has wonderful food.  "Ploes" a little further up Broadway bet. 33 34sts has great Greek food specializing in Mezze.  Taverna Kyclades on Ditmars and 33rd is great too, although the wait can be very long.

I have heard very good things about Ploes, and hope to check it out soon. I live near Taverna Kyclades, and have seen the crowds waiting to get in, especially on those warm summer nights. Another Greek (or, Cypriot) restaurant I really like is Agnanti down by Astoria Park. I went with a large group of friends there and we had a really good time eating the delicious food.

But the newest Greek restaurant in town is Ovelia over on 30th Ave at 34th Street. I have only heard glowing reviews of the place, and a plus is that they grind their own sausage there. The fish is supposely amazing and everything else is apparently just fabulous. I want to check it out, too.

I always get my Greek "supplies" from Medditerranean Foods.  They have 2 locations.  One under the el at 23rd ave and the other bet. 30 and 31 ave on 34 street.  I like their service better than Titan Foods under the el.  Although Titan is larger, the service isn't as polite.

Yes, Mediterranean Foods is great! I'm near the 31st Street/23rd Ave location and like browsing and shopping. Next time you're there, buy some sage tea - it's wonderfully relaxing as the sage is a soporific. In that same area is the great Artopolis Bakery, which has a multigrain bread I like, and their bougatsa is fabulous. Love the honey cookies as well. It's worth a visit, definitely. And now Parisi is on my list to visit as well. Thanks!

I love Astoria! It's a magical place. :wub: