• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colloidal gels

s_sevilla

I'm wondering if anyone knows of the applications of and the chemicals used to create a gel that is stable under no shearing forces, but with the application of shear will destabilize and liquefy? Sort of like a suspension of cornstarch in water but with the opposite effect. Someone pointed me to Xanthan gum but I am not sure if this creates the effect I am thinking of.

I pretty much just answered my own question, but if anyone has any sources or insight it would be much appreciated.

The hydrocolloid carrageenan has the thixotrophic properties (fluid under shear, viscous when not) I am looking at. As far as I know, there are different forms as they are derived from seaweed, and the forms have advantages and disadvantages for stabilizing different solutions/colloids at different temperatures.

BTW I first learned about this application from someone's experience at "The Fat Duck"

thanks.