• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kebabland, Harrow

hannnah

We'd been walking/busing by this place for about a week and a half when the spousal craving for a kebab finally got us in the door. Surprisingly, given the name of the place, they've got a pretty extensive Turkish menu - mezzes, various doners, pide, and a whole raft of other entrees. There's a pretty large seating area in addition to the takeaway, so we decided to eat there.

The spouse got his doner, from a moist, plump, and flavorful representative of the keebly genre, and I had one of the "kebabs in sauce," which turned out to be a lovely piece of lamb shoulder cooked bone-in in a spicy tomato sauce with potatoes, carrots, and courgettes. We also had an order of hummus, which came with really good non-pita bread (not sure what it's called - it was sort of like a focaccia but less oily).

It's across from Harrow-on-the-Hill tube station, a few doors down from the shopping center. They have a web site, www.kebabland.net, but there's nothing really on it other than a photo and their phone number. If we weren't a seven hour plane ride plus two and a half hours of Heathrow immigration hell away, I'd certainly go back regularly. :laugh:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Per spouse (as I'm not the expert and he ate the whole thing): "The doner was above average, the other stuff was excellent." If the revolving kebab hadn't looked plump and happy we would've kept walking - "never trust a skinny kebab." Also, we found out later that it's a favorite lunch destination of one of his sister's coworkers (she generally brings her lunch so hadn't tried it yet).

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I do like kebabs when they are made well :smile:

best one I had recently was in Stoke "be careful you might be mugged" Newington

at Mangal1

http://www.mangal1.com/

have a look

gallery_18280_1328_51843.jpg

check out the meat on the couter they even had quails! don't see those at your local kebab shop very often.

See those three lamb cutlets on the slab that was dinner at only £4 and they were really meaty and juicy and cooked to perfection the bread and salad were good too.

gallery_18280_1328_31009.jpg

check out the smoke from that bbq!

This place was rammed and from what my friend said it's packed everynight with people queuing 10 deep even in the rain.

only reservation I have about this place was that I had a major thirst attack a few hours later...

I suspect MSG lots of it...

or does sumac have similiar thirst inducing symptoms?

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

I do like kebabs when they are made well  :smile:

at Mangal1

Thanks, Origamicrane, now I really need to go there!

I passed in front of it and I didn't stop and I ended up going to a nearby place where I had a very cheap and satisfying lunch for 5 pounds (eggplants rolls stuffed with lamb and pickles plus rocket salad).

I do like kebabs when they are made well  :smile:

at Mangal1

Thanks, Origamicrane, now I really need to go there!

I passed in front of it and I didn't stop and I ended up going to a nearby place where I had a very cheap and satisfying lunch for 5 pounds (eggplants rolls stuffed with lamb and pickles plus rocket salad).

cool :smile:

let me know your thoughts after you tried it.

If you live in that area and like your meat you have got to go to

http://www.buenayre.co.uk/

they are an argentinian bbq place and the meat there is EX-CE-LLENT!!

Staff are friendly, it's buzzy has a covered outdoor dining area out back and the meat is just about the best I have had in London and portions are very generous.

If you been to Gaucho grill and like that you will be knocked out by Buen Ayre I would say this place is at least 3 times better but at half the price.

I recommend you go in a minimum group of 4 otherwise you won't get to try all the different cuts, also get there before 8pm as they start running out of short ribs and flank steak,etc.

I was there last friday and a certain Argentinian west ham player was dining there too.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"