• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portabellos

shugga

Went to lunch to day in Passaic County, I think the restaurant may have been in Wayne, to Portabellos. I had Pollo

Victoria, which was a chicken cutlet topped with a slice of tomato, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, drizzled with a

light tomato sauce. This was served with green beans and a small boiled potato. It was delish! My friend had the cavatelli

with broccoli, it had a great garlic and oil sauce with lots of grated cheese. Looked good. I'd have to get directions

if I ever wanted to go back, as I am not familiar with the area.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Actually, you weren't in Passaic County anymore. Portabello's is in Oakland (Bergen County) where Route 202 becomes Ramapo Valley Road.

Unless, of course, there's a second restaurant with that name somewhere in Wayne (which IS a large town).

Portobello is the preferred spelling in every English-language dictionary (food or general reference) I've seen. Portabella seems to make more sense than portobello if you look at the intuitive Italian components (beautiful doorknob?) but apparently it's not the way to go. Etymology has never been my specialty.

Webster's does, however, list all three spellings as acceptable variants.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Here's one interesting explanation:

http://www.whatscookingamerica.net/portbellaTips.htm

I would have to say that, by all accounts, mixing the "a" and the "o" produces the least favored of the not-incorrect spellings

Regardless of how the mushroom's name may or may not be spelled, what we're talking about is the name of a restaurant which is (according to the Yellow Pages):

Portobello

155 Ramapo Valley Rd

Oakland, NJ

201-337-8990

Any further issues about the spelling of their name should be directed towards the restaurant's management rather than eGullet members who have no say in it.

Ms. Wugmeister - If you actually do call them up to tell them how wrong they are, could you please call the Karma Kafé in Hoboken shortly thereafter? :wink:

edit: was going to list Karma Kafé's number (just in case), but apparently they're too new to be in the phonebook...