• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lake George

docsconz

With the departure at the end of last summer of Matthew Secich from the Inn at Erlowest, Lake George for me returned to the culinary netherworld of largely uninspired and uninteresting tourist food. I have heard reports that the food at Erlowest is still good, although I haven't returned.

Over the past week I heard several reports from friends about a worthy destination in Lake George Village, Perreca's. While the restaurant has been around for some time and is attached to a motel, I had never previously heard of it. The reason I was hearing about it now is the chef for the summer, Nick, a Perreca family member, CIA-trained with an impressive pedigree of cooking in New Orleans, NYC and France. He was most recently cooking at Daniel in NYC. I was curious to try what he had to offer so last night my wife and I went with a couple of friends.

The space is vintage Lake George - comfortable but nothing special. When we arrived on time for our 7:30 reservation, only a couple of other tables were filled, an ominous sign in this town of family vacationers that closes early. A couple of large parties did indeed follow us in, however.

The menu is very limited and centered around traditional Italian American fare. I was beginning to wonder where the buzz was coming from. I was wondering some more with the service, friendly and well-meaning, but essentially inept summer resort quality. I asked for a Negroni cocktail to be told the bartender didn't know how to make it. This was not a big deal, although I was surprised that they did not even have a basic bartender's recipe book. I settled for a Campari and soda.

I will admit that so far this is not really shaping up as a really good review, but then i haven't yet arrived at the truly salient features of what sets this place apart. A lot of care is given to the food if not the peripherals. They make their own butter, fresh mozzarella and bread - all excellent. We started with appetizers. I had an appetizer portion of shrimp marinara with homemade pasta -very tasty. My wife had a beautifully presented and tasty shrimp and chickpea salad, while our friends had fried risotto cakes and bruschetta. I was beginning to see the light.

My main course was butterflied pork chop milanese with dried tomatoes, fried arugula and sweet russian banana fingerling potatos. My wife had one of the best eggplant parmagiaanas that I have ever tried. It was crisp, light and well balanced with excellent flavor. One friend had a pancetta ragu pasta while the other had a fantastic goat cheese-stuffed free-range chicken. Everything was beautifully plated. The only complaint about the food was that it was a bit heavily salted. I was thinking that very thought as my friend voiced it. The funny thing is that I like salt. I don't know if that degree of seasoning is standard there or a function of the moment. the dishes were far from ruined by it (for us), but somewhat less great than they otherwise might have been. This was most prominent with the milanese and pancetta pasta. The four of us split a bottle of servicable chianti from a very limited wine list.

For dessert we split a lemon tart and chocolate mousse bathed in a strawberry sauce. Both were good.

I enjoyed the food very much. Chef Nick certainly seems to know what he is about in the kitchen. The best part though was the value received. The bill for the four of us before tax and tip came to about $160 and included a cocktail each, appetizers, mains and dessert as well as a bottle of wine. While I wouldn't go so far as recommend it as a destination restaurant, I would certainly return and recommend it to anyone who happens to be spending part of this summer in the Lake George region. It would also be very appropriate for families with children.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Wonder if there is any family relationship to the famous Perreca's bread bakery in Schenectady?

I believe there is, although I am not certain of it.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

You should check out this great little place in Hague called the "Uptown Store". Very charming, rustic restaurant/coffee house. I think you'd really enjoy it, and then go to the Firehouse next door for drinks later that night.

You should check out this great little place in Hague called the "Uptown Store".  Very charming, rustic restaurant/coffee house.  I think you'd really enjoy it, and then go to the Firehouse next door for drinks later that night.

Thanks. I will remember that when I am up there.

Twitter - @docsconz

Was at the bakery this morning getting bread. They had not heard of the restaurant and were even amazed that there was another family of the same name in the area. No apparent relationship. The bakery has been around since 1914.

Mark A. Bauman

TrilliumBIS is an awesome restaurant up that way...better than the friends lake inn if you ask me...Im kind of impartial, in that I worked there, but its amazing...I think its on par with alot of NYC establishments...check it out next time you are up there, and tell them Greg sent you!

"When you love your land

You want to make it known to as many people as possible.

And to make it rich.

Gastronomy is a magnificent way to do all that.

• 10 months later...

Hi-

We've never been up to this area-except for driving through it to Montreal or Burlington, Vt. (can't remember which).

Anyway, we'll be staying with friends on Tupper lake in a few weeks.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Philly Francophiles

Hi-

We've never been up to this area-except for driving through it to Montreal or Burlington, Vt. (can't remember which).

Anyway, we'll be staying with friends on Tupper lake in a few weeks.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Tupper Lake is quite a way from Lake George. Unfortunately, I am not aware of anything special in that vicinity. Lake Placid isn't too far. There are some decent to good options there, though names escape me at the moment. Perhaps the best restaurant in the Adirondacks at the moment is The Owl at Twilight in Olmsteadville. Unfortunately, that isn't really near Tupper Lake either. If looking for a good meal while passing through Lake George, I would recommend Brunetto's off exit 23 in Warrensburg. While nothing fancy, it is simple, good cooking.

Twitter - @docsconz