• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tisserie

Bond Girl

A French style bakery on the corner of Union Square The plaace is clean and airy, and although I haven't try everything, the Macaroons are quite nice. The Almond Croissants are too sweet and a bit too big in size, but the plain croissants are excellent, especially if you got some good jam to go with it. Financiers and Tiger Cakes are both very good. There's coffee and upstairs seating, And, if you meet the kitchen staffs are so nice that one of them even look after my dog while I ran in to pick up some baked goods. Defintely a good spot for morning coffee and afternoon meets.

Tisserie

857 Broadway

Corner of 17th Street

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Just tried the pain du chocolat. Pretty damn amazing. The typical pain du chocolat one purchase from the shops is a whole bunch of stale bread wrapped around a stick of poor quality hard chocolate. The pain du chocolate here is a nice flakey buttery crust with a light bread and a lovely chocolate grenache like cream on the inside. I am in heaven.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

the croissants are enormous and perfectly done on the inside, though i'd prefer a crispier exterior.

i still prefer city bakery croissants even though they're admittedly denser and greasier.

the smoked turkey cream cheese pastry is really rich and highly recommended if you're not into sweets.

i respectfully disagree in regard to the financier - a little bland. i like financers with with a clear beurre noisette flavor.

as for those mini chocolate filled savarin-shaped cookies, whoa. crunchy and soft and moist and chewy and light all at once. very nice. (are those the tiger cakes?)

Just stopped in today. Had a really good turkey and swiss sandwich on a croissant and sampled a mini blueberry tart. They were giving away mini chocolate tarts to people who came in, but somehow I didn't get a sample. Definitely a promising new space.

I tried the iced mocha at Tisserie today. It's very good. They melt the chocolate for the drink while you are waiting. The chocolate had a nice flavor to it, not too sweet, and no trace of bitterness.

I imagine it must work better for a hot drink vs. a cold drink though -- once it hits the ice it solidifies again so you have teeny bits of chocolate coming up through the straw rather than a blended drink. But that's not entirely unpleasant, and doesn't create a grainy texture like powdered chocolate does, it's still relatively smooth.

I burst out laughing when I saw the sandwiches served on what they describe as fancy regional "rounds." Um, it's a bagel.

• 5 weeks later...

The croissants must have changed since July, and not for the better. They are extremely crunchy on the outside, but the inside is thick and gummy. Very unsatisfactory. The super-crunchy exterior, gummy interior is also present in their apple filled pastry, too.

Tasting notes...

My experience at Tisserie made me wonder more about croissants, so my wife and I went on a mini croissant tasting tour this psat weekend. We hit Balthazar, La Bergamote, and City Bakery. Bouchon Bakery is closed until Aug 16. Tisserie's croissant ties with City Bakery's "normal" croissant for rock bottom of the bunch. Balthazar was buttery but with "not superb" layer separation... though still a league better than Tisserie. La Bergamote's was less buttery than Balthazar's but with much improved separation of layers. Quite respectable, nothing to sniff at. Their pain au chocolate was also amazing. A delicate crackling crunch as I bit into it. City Bakery's pretzel croissant was notable for being a surprising and very enjoyable departure from what we expected.