• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SteakBurgers

Has anyone had an opportunity to try these?

http://www.steakburger.com/

I have a sister-in-law raving about them, but I am not familiar with grass fed beef, and am wondering what the drawbacks are.

I am concerned that the fat content may be too low to make a decent burger, but the hominess, the knowing where your meat comes from, the desire to eat an animal that is not artificially "inflated" has me intrigued.

Also, we have a wide range of dietary concerns in the house right now, ranging from a hubby who has no health problems with diet and can eat what he wants, to a son that recently had a flare of Ulcerative Colitis who has to watch everything he eats, to everything in between.

Thanks in advance.

Anne

Looks like a lot of BS. Your regular supermarket "ground beef" has all different cuts in it, yes, even scraps of rib eye.

Good burger, $3/lb: Buy a nice top chuck steak, cut into cubes, and pulse in the food processor.

Great burger, slightly more expensive: buy a grass-fed steak and do the same thing.

I'm not sure what the appeal of this (horribly written) website is.

I've spent literally years trying to duplicate the taste of hamburger from the 1950's/1960's.

The closest I've come to is a 1:1:1 ratio of tenderloin strap (silverskin removed), lean sirloin and prime chuck.

When it is frying, the smell is like a time machine, taking me back 40 years to the "good ole days".

My wife agrees, there's nothing like it available anywhere. It is expensive, and takes time to trim, but then, that's exactly why its "NOT" available anymore. It's expensive and takes human labor and time to produce.

But unlike "Ragu" you do know what's in it!

:)

doc

The closest I've come to is a 1:1:1 ratio of tenderloin strap (silverskin removed), lean sirloin and prime chuck.

tenderloin strap :wacko:?

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I haven't heard of that steakburger product, but we eat grass-fed beef and buffalo. The beef comes from Scottish Highland cattle and is very tender and lean.

The tricks that I have found is to shorten the cooking time slightly and be careful to not overcook. If braising, I make sure to keep the temperature very low and cook long enough to break down the collagen. I will add a little olive oil to the pan when cooking ground beef.

Sustainable Table article about grilling grass-fed beef

We bought our beef from the ranch which was then butchered to our specifications and frozen. It is by far the best way to purchase organic beef at a reasonable price. It might be worth looking into if you have a freezer.

Buffalo is fairly easy to find as ground bee ... err ... buffalo. :) Buffalo cannot be given antibiotics or growth hormones and produce very lean, nutrient-rich meat.

--
Saara
Kitchen Manager/Baker/Dish Pit

The C Shop

Thanks for the input. I think I will give grass fed beef a spin. We eat our beef medium rare anyway, so overcooking shouldn't be a problem.

Will only purchase a small portion at this time though, and I do kind of like the guy at the SteakBurger site. After all, how can a man who loves Border Collies be a bad person?

I have a freezer, but here in South Florida we have had two consecutive summers in which community BBQs were held so that we didn't have to waste the meat we had frozen because the electricity was down from anywhere from a week to two or three, because of hurricanes.

Hurricane season begins June 1.

My canning skills have become much better recently. :wacko:

I am looking forward to trying this. I am just hoping it is as tasty and satisfying as many are saying it is. A great burger is greeted with hosannas in my home. A mediocre burger is greeted with polite "That was good, Mom." statements.