• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uki Uki (Udon, Sushi, Tempura & Agemono)

jhlurie

417 E. Brinkerhoff Ave. (intersection w. Begen Ave.)

Palisades Park, NJ

201-947-6446

I'm not posting a "review" yet, because I've only eaten here once. But i'm starting this thread in case anyone else has been here and would like to share. My one meal there was promising enough to make me hopeful. I'm likely to go back in the next week or so.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

We went there and thought it was pretty good, but not the best ever. We sampled udon soups and sushi. They did prepare some of the best edamami we've ever had - served hot and not overcooked. Also, the desserts were completely worth it. I wasn't going to have any, but when told they had homemade apple pie (at a Japanese restaurant!?) I had to try it. It was more of a apple napolean, sauteed apples layered between phylo, baked crisp. A completely unJapanese dessert. The fried bananas were more in keeping with an Asian restaurant, but they too were presented in a very contemporary manner. We'd go back if we were in the area.

The Udon at Uki Uki seems to be reasonably good, but not exceptional.

The Negamaki and Tonkatsu, however, were both exceptional for a "neighborhood" place--made to order and done about as well as these two dishes can be done.

The tonkatsu, in addition to the usual brown sauce, was also served with a horseradish-enhanced spicy yellow mustard, a julianned salad of cabbage and carrots with a sweet pink dressing (almost like a japanese version of russina dressing) and those neat pickled yellow beets you usually only get at good authentic japanese restaurants.

Some surprisingly elegant touches existed for what is essentially a neighborhood place. The rice, for example, is sprinkled with black sesame seeds. The miso soup was excellent, and was served with a neat wooden spoon. The apple "pie" mentioned by Rachel was extraordinary, and made-to-order.

I agree with Rachel... if you are in the area, go. Good Japanese is common enough to not drag yourself miles out of your way, but its a solid place, and mid-range--which is VERY rare for Japanese in this area (the extremes--expensive and super-cheap are the rule).

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I've driven by Uki Uki quite a bit lately but haven't had the urge to go. For my money the cooked food at Matsushima in Edgewater is a tough order to beat. The dishes there are very interesting and wonderfully prepared. I also love wild ginger but it's not cheap. For straightforward sushi I head to Kaname.

How would you all say Uki Uki compares to these?

• 3 months later...
I've driven by Uki Uki quite a bit lately but haven't had the urge to go. For my money the cooked food at Matsushima in Edgewater is a tough order to beat. The dishes there are very interesting and wonderfully prepared. I also love wild ginger but it's not cheap. For straightforward sushi I head to Kaname.

How would you all say Uki Uki compares to these?

I hear that others also kind of like Wild Ginger.

BTW, that's a smokin' mullet your avatar is sportin' there dude.

Nick :wink:

I hear that others also kind of like Wild Ginger.

BTW, that's a smokin' mullet your avatar is sportin' there dude.

Nick :wink:

Nick,

Have you been to wild ginger? If not you should.

Thankfully my avatar is no longer smoking, I remembered to pull the Salzburger mullet out of the oven before it burned this time.

:shock::huh: