• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Patron XO Cafe

Beth E.

You can make you own similar concoction, as a Brave Bull.

35ml Tequila,

25ml Kahlua.

Stir with ice, and then strain over fresh ice in a whisky glass. or strain into shot glasses.

I have also seen Parton XO Cafe used in a cocktail similar to a vodka espresso.

"Patron XO Espresso"

35ml tequila,

10ml Patron XO Cafe,

10ml sugar syrup,

1 double ristretto.

Shake with ice, and then strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with 3 coffee beans.

Cheers!

George S.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find the Starbucks Coffee Liqueur use that instead of Kahlua. It's a lot less sweet and tastes more like dark roast espresso than oversweetened coffee, which I understand the Patron XO is more similar to in flavor profile.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

If you can find the Starbucks Coffee Liqueur use that instead of Kahlua.  It's a lot less sweet and tastes more like dark roast espresso than oversweetened coffee, which I understand the Patron XO is more similar to in flavor profile.

I like both Kahlua and Patron XO. While I haven't done any side-by-side taste testing--and again risk revealing myself as a palate-challenged rube--I'm also perfectly fine with two cheapo coffee-flavored liqueurs: Sabroso and Caffe Lolita. They might fall short in a side-by-side but on those rare occasions I'm in the mood for a coffee-flavored liqueur I don't find myself wishing I'd spent two or three times as much. That said, if the Starbucks is less sweet than all of the above I'm sure I'd prefer it but as it's the priciest of the bunch I'll stick with vodka and ice as an easy means to keep the sweetness in check.

Speaking of price, the only reason I have a bottle of the Patron XO at home is that it was on sale for a ridiculously low price last summer. I think it was on sale because of problems with a new style of bottle. The standard bottle is squarish but what I bought (for around $6) was a tall, slim bottle with a reusable cork stopper. When I opened it the cork broke off in the bottle.

Compared to every other reusable cork I've seen this one looked dry and cheap so rather than make do I took it back to the shop. The guy there mentioned they'd had some problems with these corks. He also made the obvious suggestion--that I could simply have used a cork screw to remove the broken cork--but my feeling was why should I have to pry out a broken cork, find a replacement stopper and probably deal with cork bits or maybe even the broken-off end of the cork in the bottle for as long as it took to finish the bottle? Anyway, I opted to exchange it and I had the guy open the new bottle before I left. This cork hasn't been a problem (fingers crossed).

It's a long shot but maybe some of these bottles are still around at the heavily-discounted price. The stuff inside is the same so it's well worth buying if you find one. You may want to have a store employee open it before you leave the store though.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake