• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tallahassee, FL

thereuare

Going to visit some family (the other side of the family, so first time there for me).

Looking for some good food. My counterpart over there is as much of a foodie as i am, the wives don't care too much.

Nothing fancy (as there will be a <2yr old in the group), but anything from casual to "roadside stand" to a "joint" is acceptable.

Thanks for any and all help.

Try Kool Beanz Cafe...very casual, popular with everyone from college kids to the Governor. The menu is eclectic and changes daily...and it is extremely reasonable (i.e. very cheap by big city standards). You might try a google search as they used to have a website with the menu.

Just wanted to say thank you for the recommendation (and helping me impress my future relative!)

I walked off the plane and said, "I don't care what we do this weekend, but i've gotta try Kool Beanz Cafe before i leave!"

They were amazed i knew about the place. We ate there and it was quite good... food, service, and all.

Neither overly cheap nor overly expensive, although i thought the wine was pricey for their short pours. One thing i wasn't used to, which i think is common down south, is even the "nicer" restaurants (which this is considered) are QUITE casual. It's rare to find a restaurant around here where a meal at $75/couple is served by a waitstaff in T-shirts. I'm not saying i minded this, it was just something i noted and thought was "unique".

We also ate at Cabo's and Po'Boy's, both of which were also qutie good and i would recommend to anyone in the area.

• 2 years later...

It's usually hotter than h*** in Tallahassee in the summer. I'm surprised the waitstaff wasn't wearing swimsuits :wink: . Things are somewhat more formal "in season" - especially at the fancier places in town when the Legislature's in session. Robyn

My favorite place in Tallahassee is Cypress. There is almost no such thing as a sourthern restaurant that you wouldnt bring a 2 year old into. Maybe a few private clubs, but who wants to eat there?

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

My favorite place in Tallahassee is Cypress.  There is almost no such thing as a sourthern restaurant that you wouldnt bring a 2 year old into.  Maybe a few private clubs, but who wants to eat there?

I had a nice meal at Georgio's last trip (I was in a *very* good mood - had just won a case). As for private clubs - there are some nice ones scattered around Florida. Most of them came to be because the quality of public restaurants wasn't very good. Robyn