• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Winemakers"

Rebel Rose

Who wants to be a winemaker? Jim? Geo? Jsolomon?

Local reality wine making show begins casting in two weeks

Producers of “The Wine Makers,” a PBS reality series to be filmed in the wine country of Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo, will start casting for the show next month.

Set to premier in the spring of 2007, “The Wine Makers” follows six men and women as they compete for a chance to create and launch their own wine label. All will be wine enthusiasts who want to start winemaking careers.

The first casting call will be during the Paso Robles 2006 Grand Tasting Tour on Feb. 1 in Atlanta’s Fox Theater. The event attracts vintners, media and consumers and showcases wines from twenty-five wineries in the Paso Robles American viticulture area.

Additional casting calls will take place in Dallas, Austin, Texas, New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Washington D.C. and Los Angeles.

I believe this show will also be filmed in Australia. More details to come.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Hmm, it it weren't an 8 hour drive to the closest one, I'd be interested.

But, I might just have to skip out of town on a weekend anyway. Do you have any tips for the tryout?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Who wants to be a winemaker?  Jim?  Geo? Jsolomon?

Local reality wine making show begins casting in two weeks

Producers of “The Wine Makers,” a PBS reality series to be filmed in the wine country of Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo, will start casting for the show next month.

Set to premier in the spring of 2007, “The Wine Makers” follows six men and women as they compete for a chance to create and launch their own wine label. All will be wine enthusiasts who want to start winemaking careers.

The first casting call will be during the Paso Robles 2006 Grand Tasting Tour on Feb. 1 in Atlanta’s Fox Theater. The event attracts vintners, media and consumers and showcases wines from twenty-five wineries in the Paso Robles American viticulture area.

Additional casting calls will take place in Dallas, Austin, Texas, New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Washington D.C. and Los Angeles.

I believe this show will also be filmed in Australia. More details to come.

Mary is my favorite winery going to be involved?....by the way, that one bottle of old vine zin is driving me nuts, sitting there calling my name, drink me, drink me!....I am going to drink it w Mario at Del Posto next weds...

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Sorry, guys, no acting tips from me!! :unsure:

Chris would be our media appearance coach as he will be a judge for two episodes of the FoodTV show IRON CHEF this month! :cool:

And no, we have not been contacted regarding involvement . . . I imagine they are planning to utilize facilities at larger wineries like Wild Horse, Justin, or J.Lohr, that have some space for amateur projects and film crews (and perhaps a marketing budget).

More details in today's local Tribune:

The series is a joint effort of Doc City Production producers Kevin Whelan and JJ Levine, and South Carolina Educational Television (SCETV). Whelan is the producer of PBS shows such as "Wine 101" and "Tales From the Vineyard," a wine-and-travel program. Levine has developed television series and films for Tri-Star Pictures, Columbia Television, The Walt Disney Co. and Turner Network Television.

Principal photography for the series will be shot in San Luis Obispo County starting in September. For any information regarding casting, e-mail the producers at casting@doccitytv.com.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Who wants to be a winemaker?  Jim?  Geo? Jsolomon?

Not for alll the tea in . . .

Mary,

I will make wine, whether it winds-up being in CA or NC is still up in the air. But reality TV and the demands placed upon the 'contestants' is so far from who and what I am as to be repulsive.

I know that, whoever does win the contest, the publicity they receive will be extraordinary - and as tempting as that might be, my future lies along less well traveled paths.

You've seen the kind of wine I like; I'm not one of the folks that will 'play well' on such a show. Besides, I'm not all that photogenic and I have my curmudgeonly moments. And I don't live by anybody else's script.

To whomever wins, I say good luck.

And to whomever doesn't play, I say, what are you doing for dinner?

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com