• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seductive Nibbles?

dockhl

My husband of 8 years and I have been in a situation that requires us to be 300 miles apart most of the time for the past 7 months.

I adore and miss him. In our 'former life' we ate well and entertained often.

I last saw him at Christmas (hectic) and he will be coming up on Saturday for the 3 day weekend..........

It is supposed to rain on Saturday ( :wub: we don't get much rain here, this is WONDERFULLY romantic)

he will be here on Sat AM...............our 21 year old daughter won't be here until 6................

*sigh*

what 'nibbles' would you have in this situation...........to grab from the fridge, pour a glass of wine......NAP..........eat......(whatever)........I just am paralyzed at creating 'seduction cuisine' ....... :sad:

help?

Maybe some mini grilled cheese sandwiches with a nice hot tomato soup.

No offense here but that was pretty much what Mom served you after a day at school :huh: ... nothing real arousing actually ... :unsure:

Comfort food doesn't make you sensual and ready for ... it should be erotic ... and ... :blush: stir the inner passions and heat ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Maybe some mini grilled cheese sandwiches with a nice hot tomato soup.

No offense here but that was pretty much what Mom served you after a day at school :huh: ... nothing real arousing actually ... :unsure:

Comfort food doesn't make you sensual and ready for ... it should be erotic ... and ... :blush: stir the inner passions and heat ...

Maybe douse'em in liquor and light them on fire? :laugh:

I dunno, the rain made me think more 'cuddle up in a blanket and have something warm'.

the tall drink of water...

My husband of 8 years and I have been in a situation that requires us to be 300 miles apart most of the time for the past 7 months.

I adore and miss him. In our 'former life' we ate well and entertained often.

I last saw him at Christmas (hectic) and he will be coming up on Saturday for the 3 day weekend..........

It is supposed to rain on Saturday ( :wub:  we don't get much rain here, this is WONDERFULLY romantic)

he will be here on Sat AM...............our 21 year old daughter won't be here until 6................

*sigh*

what 'nibbles' would you have in this situation...........to grab from the fridge, pour a glass of wine......NAP..........eat......(whatever)........I just am paralyzed at creating 'seduction cuisine' ....... :sad:

help?

Well, since he is arriving in the AM, something very breakfasty would be in order I would think. Nourishing, certainly. He will need to keep his strength up.

Are you picking him up at the airport, or will he be walking in the front door?

I would have eggs benedict setup, ready to go, or ready to wait. I think flexibility is called for in this situation.

A pitcher of mimosa's on the top shelf of the fridge is adequate, for the ready to eat stuff. I wouldn't worry about the food too much though. A loving partner is sustenance enough.

:wub:

Anne

Dates, stuffed with almonds, wrapped in prosciutto and grilled. Put several on a skewer prior to grilling. They're divine and perfect finger food to feed each other.

Get a good box of chocolates while you're at it too. Also a wonderful thing to share with the one you love.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Aaahaa...........

edited to add:

The SEDUCTION is not the news or the goal (OLD news!)................

at this point it is is SEXY sustenance ! What can we crawl out of bed and eat ............ !!!!???

Man, this group ?? :)

Y'all have some WONDERFUL ideas about getting a man into bed...........I am just looking to keep him alive once he is there ! :biggrin:

Edited by dockhl (log)

" .............walking in the front door?

I would have eggs benedict setup, ready to go, or ready to wait. I think flexibility is called for in this situation.

A pitcher of mimosa's on the top shelf of the fridge is adequate, for the ready to eat stuff. I wouldn't worry about the food too much though. A loving partner is sustenance enough."

So true,but eventually we WILL want something to eat ! Prolly not so much when he walks thru the door (he is NOTORIOUSILY late) ....but LATER . It is a 6 hour drive.

I am thinking, not so much PLANNED, but what is good to go out and grab from the fridge ? (Jesus, I am an ANIMAL !)

K ( all a tizzy)

Ham.

What about comfort food? Maybe some mini grilled cheese sandwiches with a nice hot tomato soup. Works for cuddling up in the rain, I thiink  :smile:  Warm, gooey and soothing.

Actually, sounds kinda good since a nap will sound great at that point. Thx.

K

I am thinking, not so much PLANNED, but what is good to go out and grab from the fridge ? (Jesus, I am an ANIMAL !)

dockhl

He's a man. Forget chocolates and Mimosas.

A cheese platter of very pungent cheeses, Goat milk Kashkaval, Stilton, sharp provolone, Parmesan, you know, any cheese imparting the essence of Josephine Bonaparte after a long battle, and a BIG Cabernet, does it for me all the time.

Lucky for me, my wife is turned on simply by watching me devour food. :biggrin:

He is man... man is simple... by pass food...tear his clothes off... pin him to bed... then *censored* *censored* *censored* *censored*... then give him pizza and beer in bed (or whatever his favourite trash food is)!!! he will love you more for it

At the risk of being contentious, seductive nibbles is what fellas need to do for chicks - that's the female idea of romance, so it's us that need to do it.

Of course, I now leave myself open to accusations of sexism and being a neanderthal, but I'm thick skinned as well :biggrin: , so I can take it

Give him some good lovin and a beer - that's romance to us simple folks

Edited by fatmat (log)

I'm going to say: pieces of cut kiwi (need fruit for that fast sugar pick-me-up), warm brownies, and beer or champagne. Two bites, a swig, and on to foreplay!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Give him some good lovin and a beer - that's romance to us simple folks

No R.C. Cola or Moon Pie? How can you be so brazen?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Sexy meals have 3 components that will sustain your and him for "round 2" in the sack and/or what ever else you have planned for the rest of the day.

(1) Smallish manageable portions. Even men are susceptible to "cute food." They may generally be more effort to prepare, but they're just god-awful adorable. (2) High Protein & low sugar. Especially after a long trip and an energetic roll in the hay, a meal composed primarily of chocolates can lead to a blood sugar crash, and a more protracted nap then anyone planned on. (3) Just a bit of the booze. Even if you are both big fans of bourbon on the rocks go with something that is both more fun and more subtle. The Mimosa is pleasant, but if he is a manly man consider mixing up a morning cocktail more suitable to your own taste.

Some suggestions: (1) Do a soup served in plus sized coffee mugs. Opulent comfort food here. Roasted english tomato soup with bacon & blue cheese, or a South Carolina she-crab soup would be what I might go for. (2) Go for little meaty/cheesy finger food. The simplest option could be a high quality duck confit on triscuts, but I would take a hanger steak, sear it in a CI skillet, slice it super thin on little toasts, and spoon on a bit of some sauce that was particularly appealing to you both. (3) Mimosa and Bloody Mary are the 2 traditional early breakfast drinks, but sometimes the champagne works ok on its own. It its a chilly rainy day some mulled wine or cider might do the trick. You're not going be be drinking very much of it so make it something fun.

Alamut was the mountain fortress of Hassan i Sabbah and the later heads of the Assassins. Alamut represents more than just a physical place, more even than a symbolic home of the movement. Alamut was with you in what you did; Alamut was in your heart from the moment of your arrival and introduction to "Heaven" until the moment you died.

I agree with light and high protein. Easily digestible

Bloody Mary or a Sunriser (or do people remember the drink called a long slow screw against the wall The name was the best part) Champagne or a champagne cocktail like a bellini or a kir royale have their charms

Breakfast foods: scrambled eggs; cocktail sausages.

Champagne and Oysters should make your intentions clear.

Foods you can feed each other or eat off parts of each other should you so choose.

Good steak for after.

This will probably divulge too much about my own seductions ..

we happen to think that pasta carbonara is very sensuous...

a steaming pot of boiling water .. separating egg yolks through your fingers .. (microwave the bacon .. naked bacon is a big no-no!) .. adding heavy cream .. deliberately chorographed movements with cheese grating and lots of fresh pepper ..

fabulous rich combination of the long strands coated with the golden, creamy sauce .. feed each other .. mouths open for big forkfuls .. lips pursed to slurp noodles ..

ahem

with a nice pitcher of mimosas, or a bottle of wine .. not a bad meal for anytime of the day :wink:

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much