• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Santoku

alamut

Well I got the knife :biggrin: , I just wanted to thank everybody for their imput.

I wound up with a lovely 7&1/2 inch Snatoku blade, japanese made, beautiful damascus steel, with small hallows on the blade. I will withhold the namebrand for now. I am (of course) going to retain my other german chef's knives for splitting squash and qautering chickens. The Bulk of my kitchen work involves vegatables and fish, so I am pretty confident that I will get many good years out of the knife without chipping its blade.

Alamut was the mountain fortress of Hassan i Sabbah and the later heads of the Assassins. Alamut represents more than just a physical place, more even than a symbolic home of the movement. Alamut was with you in what you did; Alamut was in your heart from the moment of your arrival and introduction to "Heaven" until the moment you died.