• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: NV Charles Baur Cremant d'Alsace Brut

Brad Ballinger

Yesterday afternoon, a college friend rang me up. He and his partner are hosting their annual New Year's Eve dinner at a restaurant with a desset reception and midnight celebration following at their home. They want to tweak the sophistication component a bit this year and not just have bottles of Korbel and Freixenet. They've tried a number of wallet-friendly sparkling wines, but nothing had done much for them. Would I be willing to come over for a bottle of wine and help them plan wine for the dinner and the after-dinner festivities? Of course, anything for a college buddy.

NV Charles Baur Cremant d'Alsace Brut. So I brought a bottle of this over. 40% auxerrois, 40% pinot blanc, 20% chardonnay. "Omigod, this is the best Champagne I've ever had!" After a brief "No, it's not, because it isn't Champagne" education, we talked about why he liked it. He had two reasons: 1) it wasn't sweet and 2) it wasn't bitter. The wine had a very nice balance. The flavor profile was heavily fruit-driven -- lemons, some grapefruit, a bit of pear -- without being too tart, allowing the delicate mousse to provide a creamy mouthfeel. There was a bit of steely minerality and some almond paste notes to add complexity. My friend's partner commented "This is amazing; I'm tasting three different things at once." The wine finishes with a nice lemon zest flavor. This is a wine that would be great as an aperitif or as a toasting wine. It would pair well with lighter fare, but it is so delicious on its own.

"So where can we buy this?" Unfortunately, I had to tell them they would have to purchase it from an out of state retailer, which kind of made me bringing it a tease. But they also have a friend flying in from Paris soon, and they are going to see if she can bring some with her.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero