• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brrrrr

Florida Jim

One of the few reasons I intentionally leave warmer climes for a December weekend in Minneapolis is for friendship. And celebration.

So, Diane and I joined a diverse group of wine geeks, non-geeks and their significant others to toast the sixtieth birthday of Stephen (known to many of us as simply ‘curmudgeon’).

It snowed and never got above twenty degrees but didn’t dampen anyone’s spirits – of course, being indoors most of the time helped. The ‘anti-freeze,’ too.

The list of wines we tasted is too long but suffice it to say that most of those we tried were of ‘life list’ quality. Among those worth special note are:

1975 Ch. Lafite (double magnum):

Character-filled, fully resolved without being past prime and perfectly balanced. Any one of those is a delight, in harmony they are something to behold.

1989 Ch. Lafite:

Young and showing it; still, there is so much stuffing and in such lovely proportion – ‘hard not to like today.

1978 Diamond Creek, Cabernet Sauvignon Red Rock Terrace:

The most extraordinary domestic wine I ever had and it still has plenty of grip and a long life in the cellar.

1985 Arnoux, Vosne-Romanee Les Suchots:

Not quite ethereal but very close. Doing very well, after all these years.

1982 Ch. Trotanoy:

‘Merlot, it’s not just for blending anymore;’ silky and flavorful and the best of several ’82 Bordeaux tried.

1981 Guigal, Côte Rotie La Mouline:

Wonderful aromatics that could only be Côte Rotie and satin textured all the way through the finish. Marvelous.

Were that the years had been as good to me as to these bottles.

A weekend filled with great stories, gentle kindness and many happy returns.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com