• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme de Cassis

marty mccabe

After stumbling on Teresa (2oz. Campari, 1oz fresh lime juice, 3/4oz creme de cassis; shaken, and served up in a cocktail glass) in Gary Regan's Joy of Mixology, I promptly blew through my bottle of Mathilde Cassis.

So, before I go out and buy another bottle (and honestly, I really liked Mathilde), is there another brand I should try instead?

And another thing: is there any difference between "creme de" and "liqueur"?

Cheers!

Marty McCabe

Boston, MA

Acme Cocktail Company

Hey Marty,

It's my understanding, when French liqueurs are named "crème de", it just means they are more heavily sweetened. I think, typically served after dinner, instead of before.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Hey Marty,

It's my understanding, when French liqueurs are named "crème de", it just means they are more heavily sweetened. I think, typically served after dinner, instead of before.

-Erik

Yes, this is true. The distinction here is between "sirop de" (the "p" is silent) and "crème de," where sirop has no alcohol and the crème does, and yes, both are sweet. Liqueur is a term that describes any flavored or slightly sweetened alcohol which may also be called a cordial (eg Grand Marnier or Drambuie);crème is generally a fruit syrup fortified with alcohol at relatively low strength compared to a liqueur such as Cointreau at 80 proof. When I was in France last summer we had many a Kir made with Guyot crème de cassis to start our weekly community dinner. I would say buy what you can find readily and if you like it go with it. Guyot, btw, was terribly inexpensive (like $5US) at the local Champion grocer in France but retails for something like 20 bucks a bottle over here at a local gourmet grocer. It makes me want to return so badly, there was so much great food at less than half what we pay in the states to import the stuff. :hmmm:

Yes, this is true.  The distinction here is between "sirop de" (the "p" is silent) and "crème de," where sirop has no alcohol and the crème does, and yes, both are sweet. 

Oh, that is interesting. So if I can find quality sirops from Monin or Torani and only crap crème liqueur from Hiram Walker or Potter's, the sirop might be the better choice for, say, Creme de Cacao?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 1 month later...

I would definitely suggested the Guyot (a blue-ish red label with L'Hertier Guyot at base) for it is available here in the U.S. - it is imported by Kobrand (or) the Marie Brizzard. I would enthusiastically promote Marie Brizard for any and every cordial used at a cocktail bar. Their products are really above and beyond what else is distributed (Dekuyper, Arrow, etc.), hence being twice as expensive. But truly worth it, considering liqueurs and cordials are used much more sparingly than base spirit.

I tried approximating "crème" by lengthing a non-alcoholic cassis syrup ("sirop") that I purchased in France and brought back, made by Tesseire. Doesn't come close to either of the aforementioned brands. Even separated out after sitting in a bottle. I just used premium vodka, but was not happy with the results.