• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ritz Carlton/SF

syrah girl

Has anyone been here recently and how was it? We're looking for a great place to take my son's girlfriend for her upcoming birthday. She loves San Francisco and has recently been accepted to an interior design school in Union Square. Would love to treat her to a great place for lunch.

Also, any suggestions for a more low-key place for dinner later on in the day? Scoma's on the wharf or maybe the Slanted Door? I have yet to see the Ferry Bld. at the Embarcadero. That's where we will probably be around dinner. We have already tried Farallon which we loved but want something different this time. TIA

We just got back from 5 days in San Francisco. We stayed at the Four Seasons. Can recommend the hotel very highly. In terms of bigger deal lunches - we went to Chez Panisse and the Slanted Door. Liked the Slanted Door - but lunch at the Cafe at Chez Panisse was really extraordinary. It is still - after being around for 3 decades - terrific. I think the single best thing we had this trip was the creme fraiche panna cotta at Chez Panisse. Also - it's really easy to get there from downtown San Francisco (take a 20 minute Bart ride - walk 20 minutes and work up an appetite - or take a short cab ride if you'd prefer - and you're there). There's a wonderful cheese shop across the street from it if you're local and can bring things home with you. If you want to try the Slanted Door - we ate lunch there our first day in San Francisco - at 11 am (we were on eastern time). Easy walk-in at 11 am - you'd need reservations to dine at noon or after. You would of course need reservations to dine at Chez Panisse. Robyn

P.S. I understand that the Slanted Door is *very* crowded and loud at dinner. Would lead me to avoid it for dinner. The Ferry Building is worth a couple of hours for shopping and food grazing.

Edited by robyn (log)

Hi,

I was just taken for a birthday lunch outside on the Terrace at the Ritz Carlton. While it was a gorgeous sunny day, had good service, and the food was tasty (I had a lobster panzanella and shared a fig-proscuitto app), it just didn't seem worth the bucks. I sure don't need hip/trendy but it has felt kind of stuffy the last two times I've gone.

I've done lunch at Boulevard and recommend it. I've had mixed feelings about Zuni but have had fun when I was there for lunch, without any need to rush.

I have no idea why Slanted Door dominates. We waited an hour for our reservation and it felt like eating in a cafeteria that pushed the cocktails more than the food.

Ditto Robyn on Chez Panisse, Cafe or downstairs prix fixe (dinner only). It is so worth it, travel and cost-wise. I was also just treated to dinner downstairs (it's been quite a month, I want to turn 40 every year!) and oh my.

Another place but off your path a bit: Cha Cha Cha on Haight at Stanyan, just at the tip of Golden Gate Park. For lunch, what a bargain. My mom just came to visit and it's still her favorite. Her question: "Why don't the restaurants in CT have interesting sauces like these?" We went there the day after the RC, and our meal was a fraction of its cost and it was more fun. It's tapas, give it a try. You won't be sorry.

Ingrid

PS Low-key dinner: Clementine (French) on Clement at 3rd Avenue, in the Inner Richmond. Take a walk up Clement and check out Green Apple Books at 6th. If you don't want French, there's Burma Super Star, Minh's Garden (Vietnamese), or any number of Thai places on just that 4-block stretch. All inexpensive and less crowded than downtown/wharf scene.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Hi Ingrid - Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You waited an hour past your reservation time at Slanted Door? That's not right. I would have walked out. No restaurant is worth that IMO (and the Slanted Door - while good - at least for an early lunch - is certainly not worth it). The only time somethng similar has happened to me in recent years was at Le Cirque in Las Vegas (where - after complaining in a letter about that and other things - I wound up getting a wonderful "apologies from the owner" lunch at Le Cirque in New York). Robyn

Hi Ingrid - Just want to make sure I understand you correctly.  You waited an hour past your reservation time at Slanted Door?  That's not right.  I would have walked out.  No restaurant is worth that IMO (and the Slanted Door - while good - at least for an early lunch - is certainly not worth it). Robyn

Yes, you understood correctly. We stayed because my friend was using a gift certificate. It was a weeknight but extremely busy. I will say this -- their host staff are genuinely nice. It didn't make us happy but at least they seemed sorry about it.

PS Thanks, Carlsbad.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.