• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Queen's Hideaway

rich

In spite of the name this place is really on the Brooklyn side of the border in Greenpoint. It's a tiny place (20 seats) and has a small garden area in thr back (too cold last night). The menu changes daily and deapending on market ingredients. There is no liquor license and the corkage fee is $5 a bottle.

Last night the highlight was the smoked chicken, crsipy, smoky and juciy on the inside - simply outstanding. There were four of us and five available appetizers - so we ordered one of each and just passed the plates. The smoked sausage over escarole was tasty and well prepared as was the souther-style biscuit served with butter and honey. The mussels in a saffron soup was light and flavorful.

The other entries included a perfectly cooked buttermilk and corn meal coated deep-fried flouder, a vegetarian dish of pasta rags and several seasonal vegetables. Finally there was a rolled and fried jalapeno crepe filled with sausage and veggies - very tasty and fulling. As for a bowl of the complementary boiled peanuts - quite good.

I'm not a dessert eater but had to try the homemade apple pie in cheddar crust. The crust was simply outstanding, but the apples a just a bit too much lemon and took away some of the apple flavor.

Apps are $4-6, entrees $13-15 and desserts are $5. The address is 222 Franklin St. Don't blink or you will miss it. There is no place to wait and they don't take reservations, but there is a small wine bar a block away and they will call when your table is ready.

Not a destination place, but worth the 25-minute drive from Staten Island. Call after 6pm if you want to know what's on the evening's menu - not before, they don't know and won't answer the phone.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

In spite of the name this place is really on the Brooklyn side of the border in Greenpoint.

The name is actually from the chef-owner, Liza Queen - not based on the location.

I knew her name was Liza, but never knew her last name - thanks.

Actually it works with the location as well - on the small side street on the Brooklyn-Queens border, just a stone's throw from Long Island City.

Either way - terrific food, funky, yet attractive place.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Just to note - Queen's Hideaway fits very nicely into my year-long plan of eating only at places where the chef is female.

Rich Schulhoff

just a stone's throw from Long Island City.

I live in LIC - I can't wait to go!

Having lived in LIC for the first 29 years of my life, I envy you living there now. There have been some great restaurants opening on Vernon Blvd. and moving north to Astoria.

Enjoy the Hideaway - you'll have great time.

Rich Schulhoff