• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasadena ? Akira or Shiro?

dfunghi

Hi All,

We will be having dinner on new years eve(NYE) with some family in Pasadena. We would like to keep it local as possible since they will not have a car. We love Orris and have wanted to try Shiro so any reviews would be helpful. They also found a place called Maison Akira which is doing a $100 PP prix fixe on NYE. We will be going out early so festivities don't matter. Any other suggestions for fine dinning in Pasadena? The Ritz Carlton is also doing an expensive PF on NYE although I have read good things about The Dinning Room restaurant at the Ritz. Any reviews?

As always I put my faith in my fellow EG's to have the good info.

TIA

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Last month, S. Irene Virbila (LAT food critic) reviewed the Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton in Pasadena.

I was thinking of Parkway Grill. I heard it kind of ... changed. Irene reviewed the place back in 22 June 2005.

Orris? I never heard of that place. Please, tell us more.

David, for your information, Metro Gold Line from Pasadena goes to downtown LA. $3 day pass on any MTA bus & rail lines. I can double-check their schedule for NYE & NYD, if you wish.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

RJ, thanks for info.

Orris is on Sawtelle near Olympic in little Osaka. Great place doing small plates and the chef is on the line most nights. It is the same chef as Shiro in Pasadena. Chef Shiro I believe. Excellent and I'm sure an EG favorite with westsiders. The Dinning Room did get great write up from Sherry but I have not heard any other or met anyone that has gone. Plus its expensive and there will be kids and they wont do anything but the $105 prix fixe on NYE. Even for kids. I doubt the folks we are joining would take the Metro. They might take a cab but have asked us to find something local. Parkside is kinda corparate and prob a zoo on NYE. I await further replys about Pasadena. BTW RJ I made the food section again last week. Thank You Russ.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Yes, you are immortalized in the LA Times Food Section Digest (12 Oct. 2005)

Have you tried Saladang on Fair Oaks Ave. (two locations right next to each other)? The south location has the spicier Thai street food menu and outdoor dining that's great for large groups with kids (I suppose). This is not your typical mom & pop operation in some mini-mall. The decor is spacious, with a glass building. The last time I went, they were able to accommodate a group of about 30. The atmosphere can feel celebratory. Check it out yourself. I think I took a photo of the place. Let me find it.

Edited to add: I found them!

gallery_24802_1884_41680.jpg

Outdoor dining at Saladang (south location)

gallery_24802_1884_38293.jpg

Indoors, there are high ceilings, creating a huge space. Yes, glass walls all around.

Edited by rjwong (log)

There are many restaurants in Old Town Pasadena. Mind you, I don't know whether your group wants to avoid Colorado Blvd. & Old Town on NYE. Is that a factor in the decision-making process?

I read about a restaurant named Derek's.

$105 at the Ritz on NYE? I'm not surprised, but even for kids?? :shock:

Anyways, I'm not finished yet. I'll be checking some more sources for you.

• 2 weeks later...

The room at Maison Akira is a little bit strange but I think the food is quite good. It's often times nearly empty (unlikely to be a problem on NYE), which adds to the weirdness. I have had several good to very good meals there. My recollection is that I paid handsomely for these experiences.

The recent buzz on Shiro is that the chef is devoting all his attention to the new restaurant on the west side and that the original is basically on auto pilot. It is also kind of a strange, time-warped space (lots of 80's-ish design elements). I loved it about 5-7 years ago, but I fear it's time may have passed. The menu is also very small, which can be a concern if you have picky eaters.

I have heard nothing but uniform praise for the Ritz Carlton -- across the board, every foodie I know that has eaten there has been impressed. Sadly, I have not yet been there to eat.

For me, Pasadena's best restaurant is Tre Venezie. I actually ate there for last New Years Eve, and it was tremendous. It is the only restaurant I've visited in Pasadena that would threaten to make the list of best meals ever. I would also recommend Bistro 45 and Nonya.

By the way, I'm a Pasadena native who lived there until six months ago.

Edited by vinobiondo (log)

There are many restaurants in Old Town Pasadena. Mind you, I don't know whether your group wants to avoid Colorado Blvd. & Old Town on NYE. Is that a factor in the decision-making process?

I read about a restaurant named Derek's

$105 at the Ritz on NYE? I'm not surprised, but even for kids??  :shock:

Anyways, I'm not finished yet. I'll be checking some more sources for you.

I've eaten at Derek's many times. Derek himself is completely insufferable, but the food is often quite good. They definitely do not give it away price-wise (I recall the wine list being totally confiscatory), but it is a legitimate, special occasion destination, food-wise. I'd say it's about on par with Akira and Shiro, except for its slightly better decor in a strange, strip-mall location. For me, Tre Venezie, Bistro 45 and Nonya are all better.

Did you mean Naya when you said Nonya? Thanks for the info. The Ritz is out since we have kids with us and it is $105PP and no kids price /menu on NYE. As to Shiro I am not supprised to hear what you said. The chef is on the line at Orris every time I go and I go alot. I will look at the two others you rec'd. Naya is out unless it has changed owners. I had 2 very sad run ins with him last year. Both while at dinner at Naya. We have not gone back since last March or so. Plus do they have a new chef or is it running off of Scooters old menu still?

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man