• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1988 Las Cases

bills

1988 Ch. Leoville Las Cases – I last tried this awhile ago, and it was tasted blind against the 88 Mouton and Lafite (tough company) It showed a simpler than it’s flight mates, and more forward (although that isn’t saying much as they are tannin monsters, and closed), although still fairly tannic. This time around, it showed a nose that was sort of mid-Atlantic at first – not obviously Bordeaux yet not really American. It settled down after about 15 minutes and became much more Bordeaux-correct and more interesting to boot, with some spice and good fruit, and some cassis happening. It isn’t as tannic as it was a couple of years ago, but it is still quite tight and isn’t yet showing what it has to offer. It has always been a bit high in acidity, and it has some good fruit lurking in there. I’d leave it a few more years before revisiting, but it was certainly pleasurable now, especially when a client brought it for lunch!

Some time ago I stocked up on the Las Cases 1983 and 1986.

I did not expect any bright future for the 1988 - I am glad to see I was wrong.

Thanks for the notes and may your clients' fine taste in wine bring in some more TN's

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.