• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goodies

Florida Jim

1996 Mommessin, Clos de Tart:

On day one, fairly closed and acidic with strained fruit and a clipped finish. On day two, very engaging aromatics with a sort of feral, sauvage register that lends depth and rusticity; relatively light-weight and still fairly acidic in the mouth; medium length, slightly drying finish. Interesting but not fascinating. Thanks John.

1999 Siduri, Pinot Noir Archery Summit Vnyd.:

Very earthy aromas nearly obscure the fruit and have a slight char to them; better in the mouth, equally about fruit and earth tones; medium length finish. At least for me, not on the same level as recent bottles from the Shaw and Murfield vineyards (same vintage, same producer) but definitely distinctive and enjoyable with roasted salmon.

2001 Poeira:

A Portuguese table wine made from Port grapes; sort of port-light on the nose; rich, round and nicely integrated on the palate without the raisened flavors often associated with Port; long, smooth finish. Good stuff and, although certainly not without a cellar life, very nice right now.

1999 Diochon, Moulin-á-Vent:

Bright, structured, layered, concentrated and long; a wine for now or later and a joy to drink.

2000 Ronchi di Nimis di Giovanni Dri, Colli Orientali del Friuli Refosco:

A terrific wine with a cabernet franc type nose; deep pure, intense flavors on the palate with bright flavors and the slightest hint of Alka-Seltzer crisp on the finish which is long, pure and refreshing. Delicious wine; sort of cab. franc intensity goes Beaujolais. I hear this grape is also called mondeuse – whatever, it is beautifully structured and powerfully flavored wine that never goes into the tannic/rustic/big-ass mode. Thanks Bob.

(Aside: Anybody knows where I can pick-up a couple cases of this, please call.)

2001 Dom. du Murinais, Crozes-Hermitage VV:

Another fine and distinctive wine with a substantial dollop of northern Rhone funk (Côte-Rôtie-esque, if you will) but with a lighter, friendlier profile on the nose and palate and some really lovely nuances in the mouth; solid, medium length finish. A delight to smell and drink and terrific with turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes and broccoli-rabe. Thanks Chuck.

1995 Coulée de Serrant, Savennières Moelleux:

It is always exciting to taste a rarity – this is golden in color; impressive on the nose, and, absolutely a work of art on the palate; deep, slightly sweet, intensely bright and amazingly clean for a wine with RS; chenin at its most seductive with great mineral tones, the essence of quinine and honeyed fruit flavors, and, an endless finish. A young wine with a future measured in lifetimes and one of the very few sort-of-sweet wines I would search out. Superb.

Thanks Mark.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

You lucky, lucky man  :biggrin:

Hope your cellar is storm proof, though.

Sarah

My cellar is in a basement in the mountains of North Carolina. I live there 6 months and Florida 6 months. When I go to FL I take a few things along but there, I have excellent stores available to me. In NC, there are no stores so the cellar is my only source.

And yes, I am indeed lucky - I never forget that.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

1996 Mommessin, Clos de Tart:

On day one, fairly closed and acidic .... Interesting but not fascinating.

Thanks for the notes, Jim. As you probably know, Clos de Tart is generally vinified in a style (hard, strong, heavy with new oak) requiring unusually long cellaring (I'm reminded of California's Ridge Monte Bello Cabernet in those senses). I'd hesitate to open my 1990s now for instance. Stevenson's encyclopedia suggests 15-30 years as typical range.

(When I saw 1996 Tart on a wine list at Dickie Brennan’s Steak House in New Orleans in October 2001 I thought it meant infanticide, arguing for a Burgundy Rescue League to protect them from abuse.)

(When I saw 1996 Tart on a wine list at Dickie Brennan’s Steak House in New Orleans in October 2001 I thought it meant infanticide, arguing for a Burgundy Rescue League to protect them from abuse.)

Point taken, funny boy. :biggrin:

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com