• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sidecar vs. Cosmo

mbanu

The difference between a Cosmo and a Sidecar isn't very great, from a mixological perspective, but from an image perspective it appears to be enormous.

People who drink Sidecars tend to be (or want to be) discriminating folks who prefer their cocktails made the old-fashioned way, connoisseurs. Cosmo drinkers tend to be grown-up sorority girls of the same vein as those Sex in the City types who popularized it. Given the amount of putdowns it has recieved from Sidecar-types, I suspect the average Sidecar drinker would rather be caught dead than seen holding a Cosmo.

This tickles me because really it's the same genus of drink, made the same way more or less (remove the dash of cranberry for color, switch out the brandy for vodka, change the citrus, and...), with the same ratios and same style of ingredients. It's not like we're comparing the Manhattan to the Alabama Slammer. :)

So how does such an unusual situation come to be? Is it simply a matter of disliking a drink due to the people who drink them? Or is it something else?

Edited by mbanu (log)

switch out the brandy for vodka

switch out the stock for water

switch out the bacon for tofu

switch out Paris for Peoria

switch out Hendrix for Hootie

switch out Rita Hayworth for Loretta Young

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

This is something that is covered in Gary Regan's book The Joy of Mixology : The Consummate Guide to the Bartender's Craft. He identifies a class of cocktails he calls "New Orleans Sour" consisting of base liquor, Cointreau and citrus. This includes the Sidecar and Cosmopolitan as well as the Margarita, Brandy Crusta, and many other popular drinks. In fact, this is one of the easiest formulae to use in creating drinks all'improviso. Think dark rum + Cointreau + lime or gin + Cointreau + lemon with a dash of bitters, etc.

That said, not all New Orleans Sours are created equal. I don't think that anyone would argue that a Sidecar isn't substantially more complex than a Cosmopolitan. For starters, there is simply no way a citrus-flavored vodka can bring the same range and depth of flavor to the table as a Cognac. The whole "citrus vodka with citrus liqueur with citrus juice" thing is also a bit monochromatic and not particularly compelling. Then there is also the problem with the way the Cosmpolitan is usually mixed, which is to say heavy on the sweet. Some bartenders even use simple syrup to bump up the sweetness. So, in the end, you're often left drinking a pink glass of vaguely citrus flavored alcoholic candy.

On the rare occasions that I have a diehard Cosmo drinker in my home, I've varied the formula by infusing some lemon or orange zest into a few ounces of either gin or aquavit for 5 minutes or so, and using that instead of citrus vodka. It makes a signirficantly more interesting drink, and most people won't even notice that it isn't vodka. They just notice that the drink is more complex and interesting.

--

switch out the brandy for vodka

switch out the stock for water

switch out the bacon for tofu

switch out Paris for Peoria

switch out Hendrix for Hootie

switch out Rita Hayworth for Loretta Young

Bloody well said!!! Couldn't agree more.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06