• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beaucastel CdP 1989

Phil Ward

Well, I pulled the last bottle from the cellar and stood it up for about a week.

Decanted for an hour. Lo and behold, it reeked of Brett and and a touch of TCA.

If I am not mistaken, was this not a controversial vintage for Beaucastel? I remember a long discussion back in my days as an AOL wine board maven that many fellow tasters had problems with this wine.

Anyone else had a recent or past experience?

Thanks,

Phil

PS: Glad I have no more left of 89 Beaucastel. I'll stick with Clos des Papes, La Vielle Julienne, Vieux Donjon, etc.

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Phil....

My own experiences with this wine have been "quite happy".. Following is my most recent tasting note.

Chateau de Beaucastel, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 1989: The fourth time I have tasted this wine and it has never failed to delight me. Nor, if the truth be told, have I failed to identify it in blind tastings. Full-bodied, maintaining its plum and black cherry fruits but those now yielding gracefully to smoked meat, herbal and spicy aromas and flavors. Great structure, impeccable balance and a near-sweet fruit and leather finish that seems to linger forever. Unforgettable! Drink now-2010. Score 98. (Re-tasted but not blind 14 Jul 2004)

My own finding was that although 1989 offered some very good Chateauneuf wines that many were best until 2000-2002, but this one seems to have escaped that mini-curse. Is it possible that you simply had a bottle that had, for one reason or another "gone wrong"?

My recollection of it was quite positive sa well. Alas, I have no more.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Daniel and docsconz,

Thanks for the comments and notes.

I guess it was just one of "those" bottles.

It was not fun and was poured down the drain.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover