• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minimum Percentage of Varietal Content?

Memo

What is the minimum percentage of grape-varietal content allowed in British Columbia and/or Canada as a whole - in order to label a wine a specific variety?

For example, Cabernet Franc... can it be as low as (or lower) 75% Cab Franc grapes + 25% other grape varieties?

[i know that Oregon state has the highest regulation in North America. For Pinot Noir - they allow no less than 90% pinot grape to be able to call it a Pinot Noir. I tried a pinot from the Willamette Valley which was 90% pinot noir + 10% zinfandel.

That 10% of zin changed the color/body significantly.]

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I googled "British Columbia wine regulations" and the first document is The Complete Alphabetical Listing of Statutes with Associated Regulations. I searched for wine and clicked this document.

:smile:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I googled "British Columbia wine regulations" and the first document is The Complete Alphabetical Listing of Statutes with Associated Regulations. I searched for wine and clicked this document.

:smile:

Thanks - that's Really Nice! of you to find this info. It sounds like it must be at least 85% of one grape to be labelled a single varietal.

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.