• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pura Vida Fisheries

Today is Pura Vida Fisheries' first day at the 66th Street Greenmarket at Lincoln Center. In fact, it's their first day at any Greenmarket. I discovered it on my morning walk to work. Pura Vida runs day boats in Hampton Bays, and will be at the 66th Street Market on Thursdays only, for now. The stall operator was very friendly.

As for the catch, there were a few lobsters, scallops, fillets of sea bass, mackeral, fluke, and flounder, and some others that I don't recall. These fish were also available whole, but unscaled. Mr. fisherman told me that he's not allowed to scale at the market, which is too bad because scaling indoors at home is not such a good idea -- scales end up everywhere.

This is an important addition to the neighborhood.

Edited by JosephB (log)

My wife went back later in the morning to by 2 pieces of mackeral, 2 pieces of sea bass, and one pound of scallops. The total was $19 and change. I estimated about a pound of fillets when I cooked it last night. So the prices are excellent, and better than Citarella. Besides, the fish was pristine, and delicious. As good as Citarella is, this was better - at least the fillets. I would even pay more for it. I'm looking forward to next Thursday.

I am fairly certain that Pura Vida Fisheries was at the Union Square greenmarket today. The friendly vendor said they ran day boats in Hampton Bays, as mentioned above, and that Friday would be their only day at USQ. I bought the sea scallops ($11/lb.) for ceviche, as well as pan-searing, and look forward to trying some of their other offerings. JosephB, were the whole fish on display or stored separately? I did not see any, but then again, I didn't get a good look at all of the bins.

Today is Pura Vida Fisheries' first day at the 66th Street Greenmarket at Lincoln Center.  In fact, it's their first day at any Greenmarket.  I discovered it on my morning walk to work.  Pura Vida runs day boats in Hampton Bays, and will be at the 66th Street Market on Thursdays only, for now.  The stall operator was very friendly.

As for the catch, there were a few lobsters, scallops, fillets of sea bass, mackeral, fluke, and flounder, and some others that I don't recall.  These fish were also available whole, but unscaled.  Mr. fisherman told me that he's not allowed to scale at the market, which is too bad because scaling indoors at home is not such a good idea -- scales end up everywhere.

To scale whole fish neatly, put them in an oversize bag, papper or plastic, and scale them there - it contains the scales and makes a messy job neat. Discard the bag when done.

I am fairly certain that Pura Vida Fisheries was at the Union Square greenmarket today.  The friendly vendor said they ran day boats in Hampton Bays, as mentioned above, and that Friday would be their only day at USQ.  I bought the sea scallops ($11/lb.) for ceviche, as well as pan-searing, and look forward to trying some of their other offerings.  JosephB, were the whole fish on display or stored separately?  I did not see any, but then again, I didn't get a good look at all of the bins.

Well, that's excellent news because I can get to US at lunch time on Fridays. That gives me one more day of superb fish.

The whole fish were displyed on a bed of ice. There were maybe 2 flatfish, and few wild bass.

Today is Pura Vida Fisheries' first day at the 66th Street Greenmarket at Lincoln Center.  In fact, it's their first day at any Greenmarket.  I discovered it on my morning walk to work.  Pura Vida runs day boats in Hampton Bays, and will be at the 66th Street Market on Thursdays only, for now.  The stall operator was very friendly.

As for the catch, there were a few lobsters, scallops, fillets of sea bass, mackeral, fluke, and flounder, and some others that I don't recall.  These fish were also available whole, but unscaled.  Mr. fisherman told me that he's not allowed to scale at the market, which is too bad because scaling indoors at home is not such a good idea -- scales end up everywhere.

To scale whole fish neatly, put them in an oversize bag, papper or plastic, and scale them there - it contains the scales and makes a messy job neat. Discard the bag when done.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.