• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bouchee/Carmel

syrah girl

We will be celebrating my birthday here soon. Does anyone have any recent experience here? I'm expecting great things. We also have meals at Forge in the Forest and Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge planned for Carmel/Carmel Valley. :biggrin:

The food is excellent. Depending upon which night of the week you go, it can be crowded and noisy. The tables are set VERY close together, so if you're looking for an intimate, quiet dining experience, you might be disappointed. Fink's sister restaurant at L'Auberge Carmel is far more intimate. I've not eaten there, but have seen the room, and it's lovely. I understand the food is superb (same chef as Bouchee).

Marinus will give you a more elegant, intimate feel than Bouchee. Forge in the Forest is nice, but nothiing special, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Also thought I'd mention Kurt Grasing's eponymous restaurant, Grasing's. My wife and I ate there in November, and the food was outstanding.

Edited by samgiovese (log)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I also heartily recommend Casanova. I eat a VERY light breakfast and make Casanova my lunch experience, which usually takes two+ hours. They have an amazing wine list with more half-bottles than I've seen here in the Napa valley. I should go back for dinner sometime.

My wife and I stumbled into Bouchee by accident a few years ago on an overnight on the Pacific Coast drive down to LA from SF. We had no idea about it, it just looked like a decent spot for a quick Wednesday night dinner. Plus we had actually eaten at the French Laundry the night before, so weren't really looking or expecting much.

It was excellent. I know I had an abalone dish and my wife had a "sand...?" - help what's the little California fish - plate that was excellent with a half bottle of some really light Chard. Both were fantastic. I can't remember our mains - I probably had whatever steak or red meat plate was on offer. I do remember a fantastic Central Coast Pinot Noir (this is BEFORE Sidways!), though. And I remember the bill being quite reasonable, all things considered.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Though it has been awhile since I've been there, I'd also recommend Cassanova's. We're going down there at months end and I'm going to opt for my favorite in the area which is The Sardine Factory in Monterey, still very close to Carmel. Someday I hope to get a group together to do a dinner in their fuedal dining room, outside of that the Conservatory room is especially nice.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Yes, sand dab. I had the sand dab sandwich at the Forge in the Forest that was very good, packed full of fresh and nicely prepared sand dabs. We enjoyed the ambiance of the Forge but Casanova beats it hands down in the food and innovation department. :)

Our meal at Bouchee was excellent! I would like to try Grasings next visit in August and the Sardine Factory in Monterey is on our list. Cheers!

• 10 months later...

My husband and I are going to Carmel next weekend for our first anniversary. Neither of us has been there in many years, and we want to have a nice dinner one night.

Friday night we are having dinner at the Flying Fish Grill, but Saturday we are trying to decide between L'Auberge Carmel and Bouchee. I have read varying reviews of both, and both menus look intriguing.

A little about us, if it helps: we are equally comfortable with prix fixe or a la carte menus. We very much enjoyed Gary Danko, and my husband really liked Manresa, but the food wasn't fabulous to me.

We would really like a place with great service, a pleasant atmosphere, and wonderful food.

Any suggestions?

I have eaten at Bouchee, but not at L'Auberge. Bouchee is more informal, and if you aren't into the tasting menu and ultra gourmet scene, would probably be the better choice. We eat at Manresa quite often, and if that type of cuisine is too cutting edge for your tastes, then Bouchee would definitely be the better choice. One word of warning: the tables at Bouchee are VERY close together, and if you are going on a weekend and looking for an intimate, romantic dinner, you might be disappointed. Gene Burns of KGO radio's Dining Around just had a rave review of both L'Auberge and Manresa on his show yesterday. I really don't think you could go wrong with either place. BTW, did you consider Marinus at Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley? It is EXCELLENT! (and VERY quiet and ROMANTIC!!!)

Edited by samgiovese (log)

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Yes, we did love Bouchee! I'll also second Casanova. Very intimate place, great local wines and doting service. We like to sit out on the back patio. I haven't been to Marinus, but we really enjoyed our lunch at Wickets which is their casual restaurant at Bernardus. BTW, Bernardus is a beautiful resort, we enjoyed walking around and admiring the place! :)

Let us know what you decided on! We were in Carmel on Sun. and had a wonderful breakfast at Katy's and a very nice dinner at Tarpey's Roadhouse.

It's too late for you, but for others reading this and looking for a fantastic restaurant in Carmel, consider Pacific's Edge at the Highland's Inn. We dined there last Dec. and the new chef is doing amazing things. It was right up there with our meal at Sierra Mar @ the Post Ranch Inn.

Highly recommend Pacific's Edge for a true gourmet experience with outstanding views of the coastline. This is a place on the coast where you will get that WOW factor with the food and the views. :)