• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pimientos

fyfas

Have a recipe that calls for a large, fresh pimiento pepper (to be used along with a green bell pepper, butter and some sherry to create a simple sauce for a pan-seared filet mignon).

I'm having trouble finding a fresh pimiento and am wondering about attempting to use the jarred pimentos readily available that are packed in water with citric acid. Is this a wasted effort ?

TIA.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

I agree, the jarred pimentos (especially if packed in good oil and some herbs) have had more time for their flavor to develop, use them.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Thanks everyone; knew eG people would share their thoughts.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

I don't think I have ever seen a fresh pimento. And I always look at the pepper section of my large "ethnic" markets.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Two thoughts:

1. A pimiento pepper is just a red pepper. Are you sure you aren't supposed to just use a red bell pepper, uncooked and unskinned? This would make sense if you are also using a fresh, raw green pepper.

2. Maybe the recipe is calling upon you to make you own pimientos? Penelope Casas does this in her books. It's very easy; I've done it many times. They taste fresher than the jarred varieties, which I admit can be very good as well.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I'd disagree, if you can get genuine spanish ones, they are likely to be better than any fresh ones you can find.

Which brand?

I have to admit I have a general aversion to almost all jarred/canned vegetables. So I'd probably just use a fresh red bell pepper.

I'd disagree, if you can get genuine spanish ones, they are likely to be better than any fresh ones you can find.

Which brand?

I have to admit I have a general aversion to almost all jarred/canned vegetables. So I'd probably just use a fresh red bell pepper.

I don't know about brand, but I often buy jars of Pequillo (Or is it piquillo?) peppers. I have had canned peppers which are just flat tasting, over sweet and too soft, but these are great. I find the biggest problem is I eat as many straight out of the jar as I put in the recipe!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Piquillo peppers have a bit of heat, don't they? Pimientos are actually sweeter, aren't they, sweeter than bell peppers? For a bit more of a definition of pimientos in general, click this. I've never actually seen one raw, personally, but now I'll definitely be on a mission.

Or maybe there is no single genus of "pimiento," since really the word is just spanish for "pepper." Any botanists around who can elucidate us here?

In any case, I think it's pretty standard to use the jarred variety.

Christopher