• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holy mole, Batman

bobmac

I have a Tex-Mex book that seems to use the terms "mole sauce" and "mole paste" interchangably. Specifically, it calls for a tablespoon of sauce and then refers to a mail-order source for paste. Since "mole sauce" is in itself redundant, what gives? Are paste and sauce the same?

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Generally speaking I would understand 'mole sauce' to be prepared from 'mole paste' and whatever desired liquid medium.

I would think a tablespoon of a 'mole sauce' would not go very far in flavoring anything, depending on the context of the recipe.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Sladeums is correct. You can buy jars of mole paste and that is used to make the sauce. Dona Maria is a fairly common brand, click here. There is a link to the Dona Maria page but apparently the English version isn't available. It does appear that there are some recipes available in the Spanish version.

Sounds like the book needs an editor. I can't even imagine using just a tablespoon of the paste for anything. The jarred pastes usually call for 1 part paste to 3 or 4 parts broth. Which book and recipe is it?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Oops, my bad. On further inspection, it seems I misunderstood a direction. A recipe that required a footnote instead referenced the footnote of another recipe and I thought it referred to the whole recipe. I guess the point was to avoid redundancy and I didn't read carefully enough.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Oops, my bad. On further inspection, it seems I misunderstood a direction. A recipe that required a footnote instead referenced the footnote of another recipe and I thought it referred to the whole recipe. I guess the point was to avoid redundancy and I didn't read carefully enough.

I'm not sure it is your bad. Sounds like an editor is still in order. :laugh: Sheesh. It shouldn't be that convoluted. Why? To save a little ink? :blink: Now I am really curious as to which book.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Me too! What book is this?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Yes. "Mole sauce" is essentially redundant. "Mole" is an indigenous word meaning something like sauce, though somewhat broader (hence, guacamole = "avocado sauce"). I think there's a thread about this somewhere.

For mole in the narrow sense (chile-seed-fruit sauces) pretty much any recipe will involve making a fairly think preparation (which may or may not be as thick as what you'd usually call a "paste"), then simmering it with a bunch of water or broth to make the final product.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu