• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2000 Maloy O'Neill Syrah, Private Reserve

Brad Ballinger

2000 Maloy O'Neill Syarh, Paso Robles Private Reserve. Only 20 cases of this wine were produced. The bottle I received was a gift from a friend who had traveled that area. This wine was showing some "mature" elements that made it enjoyable. The nose showed off plummy fruit, along with spicy blackberries. There was an earthy quality to the nose as well that seemed to indicate this wine would be more than a blueberry fruit bomb. In the mouth, the wine had very nice balance -- showing off mature berry and plum fruit with tobacco, coffee, spice, and earthy accents. Lower on the acid scale, but still providing a nice mouthful of fruit. Enjoyed with short ribs.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

As soon as Dr. O'Neill is finished with his patient, I will pass along your remarks. I am sure he will be pleased.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Dr. O'Neill was very pleased with your mention of the Syrah and passed it along to Shannon at the winery.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett