• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Koi

SobaAddict70

Dinner at Koi last night with a friend.

Some highlights:

Monkfish pate with soy and mirin

Live sea urchin

Saba (mackerel) with onion and scallion

Sardine sashimi with shiso, lime and yuzu

Amaebi sashimi, after which the heads and tails were deepfried and then served again to us

Conch sashimi

Sushi plate which featured a number of items both familiar (tuna maki rolls) and unfamiliar (deep fried ebi heads and pressed sushi wrapped in a banana leaf)

Koi invites a number of comparisons to Jewel Bako; some may feel that it delivers a relatively better experience for the same amount of money as the top omakase at JB. Our bill ran to about $120 (including tax but not tip). I'm not so sure that the comparison is accurate, with respect to Koi's sushi -- I felt in retrospect that there was just a bit too much fish and rice, compared to either JB or Tsuki. On the other hand, the appetizers hold up well to JB and possibly Tsuki.

I'll just have to come back again, I suppose. :raz:

Koi

175 Second Avenue (East 11th Street)

T: (212) 777-5266

Soba

We used to go to Iso a lot, and went to Koi shortly after it opened. It was often good, a little uneven, but to put it in the same category at JB seems pretty unfair - the quality and selection of fish which JB has to offer blows Koi away, at least in our experience.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Unless they've changed since I went last year, Koi serves the gigantic American style sushi that is really hard to eat in one bite (unless you're okay with looking like a chipmunk). In particular, a peice of eel sushi the fish extended at least two inches off the rice on both ends. How are you supposed to eat that? Their fish is very fresh, but there is no comparison to Jewel Bako in my opinion.

Edited by bpearis (log)

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

some may feel that it delivers a relatively better experience for the same amount of money as the top omakase at JB.
I'm not so sure that the comparison is accurate, with respect to Koi's sushi -- I felt in retrospect that there was just a bit too much fish and rice, compared to either JB or Tsuki.

I felt the sashimi was better than the sushi.

Soba

Agree with bpearis on this one. Don't like the sushi and find the offering of the sashimi rather uninspiring. I like the chef to think about how he offers the dishes as much as what he offers.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.