• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cool inventions

jgould

Time mag had a recent issue of cool inventions. 1 of many was a label using thermosensitive ink that lets you know when the contents of the bottle are suitably chilled via "grantusa.com". this "sounds" like a great idea. any comments?

Zywiecz, a Czech or Polish beer has that sort of thing on the label. The unfortunate thing is you usually want 2 at different temperatures. So, you could use it like Green and Blue is drinking temperature. Red and Blue is too hot, and Green and Purple is too cold.

I've had several literally frozen Zywieczes.

Edit to fix spelling.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Well, I wasn't speaking of this morning.... :laugh: It's Boulevard Wheat for breakfast today.

But, I like the idea of thermosensitive ink. However, I think it is important, especially for wines, where different types are best consumed in different temperature ranges, to have appropriate ranges with the ink instead of just "yes, it's warmer/colder than X" have the ability to know "it's between X and Y"

Clickety for a better explanation

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.