• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zephyr in Livermore

PurpleDingo99

A very affordable menu ($15-30 entrees) of americana cousine sits in the center of my hometown. its been open for less than a year, and i must have eaten there five times by now. Headed by Nick Musser from the Icon in washington, the menu seems to be standard steakhouse affair. Upon closer examination, you will discover that the steak takes backseat to the pastas and fishes. So far, i have heard people not liking the fried chicken or meatloaf. Others say the steak isnt too impressive. otherwise, its a great taste and value (although the menu itself isnt too inspired.) It is obviously our town's first attempt at a wine town high-class joint. The wine is great (although, for whatever reason, i have heard several waiters reccomend out of state wines. Most of them do not stand up to our locals,) the service is great, and if you end up anywhere near livermore, just go in and try the parmesan lemon sole (with sweet corn mashed potatoes and lentils with a lemon butter) for the rather affordable $19. Its not exactly the most noteworthy joint in the world, but its one of the best wine town grill ive come across and probably the best restaurant in the tri-valley. Im not telling you to go out of your way for lunch or dinner there. But if your in the area, nothing comes close.

The Website

And less people than outland.

you must not have been there for a while. housing tracts everywhere and i even try to avoid mainstreet from the traffic. now, they opened a connection near our house that has become a straight shot to the highway as well as a giant country club you can almost see from our backdoor. its crowding up fast, but i still like it.

Yeah, it's been awhile, but I brought some horses through there in '99, and I did recognize landmarks. Be smart. Graze some cow babies on the greens. Heads up. You live in a nice area that's always had good groceries. Don't be shy.

funny you should mention that too. i keep meaning to try to find a good butcher around here, but most of them have been kicked out of business. Last i checked, kelley's meatmarket is still around (it used to be owned by our friend's family back in the day, but i heard the current owners are sort of letting the place go.) I think even the first street fruit stand may not last much longer. all we have left is PW market on the far end of town, which is a fantastic supermarket. They even have wild salmon steaks (which is rare for the area,) although they cost a small fortune.