• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The magnum format

vengroff

I've never really purchased wine in magnums before, both because they are less widely available than bottles and because I didn't really have facilities appropriate for long-term storage. Neither of those problems exist any more, so I'm thinking of taking the plunge. OK, who am I kidding, I've already started. But at this point my large format collection still numbers in the single digits so it's not to late to turn back.

Some specific questions:

1. Magnums are widely said to age more slowly than bottles. How much more slowly? E.g. if a wine needs 5 years in a bottle, how long does it need in a magnum? 6, 7, 10 years? Is there even a rule of thumb like this, or does it vary by type and region?

2. Are there significant differences in the aging process other than time? I.e. will wine in a magnum go through phases, for better or for worse, that the same wine in a bottle will not? Or is the progression exactly the same, only slower?

3. How much of a premium should I expect to pay? Is 10-20% typical? When I look around it seems like prices are all over the map, from super-inflated to down to just a bit less than two bottles. Presumably the market is thin, so spreads are wide.

4. Independent of price, how much of the market is available in magnums at all? I picked up the ones I have while visiting wineries in the Yakima valley and Red Mountain region. I'd say about half of what we tasted was available in magnums. It's much thinner in most wine shops, but that's presumably because they choose not to stock it, not because it can't be ordered.

5. I've read that the magnum is the ideal format for Champagne. Is this true, and if so, why? Does is apply to sparlking wine in general, or just methode champagnoise?

In summary, am I wasting my time and money if I start hunting around for magnums and then waiting for them to mature, or is it likely to be worth the effort? If there are other issues I should be aware of, by all means please point them out.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

1. It does vary by type and region, but generally we have seen that well-made cabs and syrahs will easily go twice as long.

2. The wine itself will still go through stages and plateaus, but probably more slowly in a larger bottle. It's always such a mysterious process--who knows what's really going on under that thick, dark glass?

3. Price differences vary widely. Producers who customarily bottle a large run of magnums may offer lower prices because of economies of scale--price breaks on supplies and bottling line time. Smaller producers who only offer a few select large format bottles will have significantly higher prices, partly due to the outrageous cost of producing just a few large formats, and partly due to the limited availability.

4. I have no idea!

5. Of course Champagne in magnums is desirable! There's more for everyone! :laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook