• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jake's Cheesesteaks

Curlz

Thanks to a link from pnapoli about another topic, I discovered the hobokeni.com web site, which includes a section on dining in the Mile Square. And I just finished reading all about a new place called Jake's Cheesesteaks. The true surprise to me was the fact that they're not a late-night spot...seems like they'd be ideal for Hoboken's drunken hoardes, esp on that end of town.

And fwiw, when I first read it, I thought it said Jake's Cheesecakes and wondered if a cheesecake store would survive in Hoboken. :laugh:

Jake's Cheesesteaks

528 Washington Street

201-610-9001

Sun-Thur: 11:00am - 10:00pm

Fri-Sat: 6:00pm - 11:00pm

www.jakescheesesteaks.com

Anyone been? Any good?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I had a steak there about two months ago, with high hopes--I spent my college years in Philly and feel compelled to go back every six months or so just to keep my Whiz levels in balance.

And I agree--Hoboken seems to have all of the elements necessary to produce a great cheesesteak, considering all of the great cheese and bread shops. Piccolo's makes a pretty good one, but it's not quite there for me.

Anyway, Jake's was OK, but not somewhere that I'd be rushing back for. The bread was tough, and yet spongey, too. The meat was nothing special.

I still hold out hope for Hoboken, though. Eventually someone will figure it out.

It's been quite some time since I had one from Piccolo's, but iirc, they use a full (albeit thin) steak on their sandwiches, not the thin slices. It was tasty, but certainly different!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Having been raised in Phila, been a chef, run a steak and hoagie shop in VA with a Phila baker as a partner, THERE are NO Philly Cheesesteaks or Hoagies outside of the Phila area. Its all about the bread. Just my $.02.

Happy Holidays to all egulleters.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Having been raised in Phila, been a chef, run a steak and hoagie shop in VA with a Phila baker as a partner, THERE are NO Philly Cheesesteaks or Hoagies outside of the Phila area. Its all about the bread. Just my $.02.

Happy Holidays to all egulleters.

Phil

phil, is the bread at all philly places the same? i have to think they're not all using the same baker. if not, is the style not easily duplicated?

there's a place in NYC on, i think, 3rd ave and about 32 that does a decent philly-style cheesesteak. i'm guessing that most people who eat cheesesteaks even in philly won't be able to detect the difference in the bread.

that said, piccolo's does a steak sandwich, but, as curlz suggests, they use a whole steak. a ribeye if i'm not mistaken. on hoboken-style bread, which i think is some of the best bread of its type on the planet, although not necessarily ideal for cheesesteaks.

personally, if i'm having a whole steak on a roll, i'm going to Wolfgangs in NYC for a dry-aged sirloin. you can keep your whole fatty choice ribeye. but if you slice it thin like do they in philly, then all bets are off! i can only hope this place jakes is doing more of a philly-style than piccolos. different animals for sure.

Having been raised in Phila... THERE are NO Philly Cheesesteaks or Hoagies outside of the Phila area...

I am a Philly boy, too.

I don't agree.

The most easily discovered and some of the best cheesesteaks & hoagies are found in the Philadelphia area but to say there are none outside I think is a stretch. Phila folk reside liberally in the tri-state area, are experts in their particular culinary delights and love to share said eats with new people. There's good bread all over, and capable (I'm not saying the Phila style best) treats can be found made - even by folks not from the city of brotherly love.

Water Ice is a different matter.

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

I agree with Phil about the bread. When in Philly, it's Amoroso's or don't even bother.

Piccolo's is good, but it's like a Hoboken translation of the real thing. It's like eating sliced london broil on a hard roll--making it a bit too chewing-labor-intensive for what's supposed to be a sloppy, juicy experience. But I'd still prefer one from Piccolo's over Jakes, maybe because Jakes' attempt isn't all that much closer to the real deal.

Piccolo's is good, but ...It's like eating sliced london broil on a hard roll--making it a bit too chewing-labor-intensive for what's supposed to be a sloppy, juicy experience.

Exactly my thoughts!! My recollection is that there was just no polite (or neat) way to eat it!!

• 4 weeks later...

There's a sign outside Jake's now that reads, 'under new management', though it hasn't been open all that long. I don't know any details. I tried a cheesesteak there once, but they didn't seem to use the good local bread, so I wasn't really impressed. I think it was also too cold.

Meanwhile, I live across from Piccolo's, and I know the style there is different, and it can be slightly messy, but there's something about it that I find truly addictive. I always order mine with the fried onions. The bread is from one of Hoboken's three grandfathered coal-brick oven bakeries, possibly Marie's.

Update to the above:

The sign says Under New Ownership, and there as a neon sign in the window that reads, "Philly's Cheesesteaks." Saw a few boxes of commercial (didn't look like a local brand) bread on a table near the window. I would be more interested if they used our beloved local breads.