• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Divinity for Dad

Cusina

oops, posted this in the wrong place at first... sorry.

One of my Dad's all time favorite candies is divinity. His great-aunt used to spoil him with it when he was a kid. I want to make him some for Christmas this year, but I'm a bit daunted. I understand it's tricky stuff. Would any of you be willing to share a tried and true recipe and your technique. He is particularily fond of cashews, so if I could incorporate those it would be great too, but it's not essential.

Thanks!

Alice

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

• 3 weeks later...

Since I didn't get responses to this topic, I figure I shoud post my experience for posterity.

After researching a bit I decided on a recipe. This is the basic one from my grandmother's collection, which seems like it's very typical.

Divinity

2 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/2 cup water

boil over medium heat in a large saucepan to hard ball stage. 260 degrees, stirring only until sugar dissolves.

Beat two egg whites until stiff peaks form. Pour hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating in mixer continuously. Add 1 tsp. vanilla (or brandy) beat untill stiff and mixture loses it's gloss. Stir in 1/2 cup nuts. Drop by tsp. onto wax paper. Allow to harden.

Now, even after following this recipe to the T (I used salted cashews for the nuts) my mixture was still too soft to form little poofs rather than little pools on the wax paper. I found that you need to beat the finished mixture by hand for about 5 minutes beyond what the kitchen aid will do. This is a serious workout, but it just wouldn't come together without a little hand mixing at the end. Just keep mixing until it your biceps burn and the stuff holds its shape on the paper. I can't imagine how strong you had to be to do the entire recipe by hand. I would not have made it as a farm wife in the old days.

The result was very good, smooth nougat balls with salty cashew crunch. I hope my dad enjoys!

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

J. Garner, thanks for mentioning that humidity tip. I forgot that detail. I also forgot to note that I put a pinch of salt in when I added the vanilla.

My dad grew up eating pink divinity which included chopped marischino cherries and a few drops of red food coloring stirred in at the end. I think many folks would include chopped pecans. I used whole cashews and it turned out pretty well.

I ran across this posting on another board that charmed me. Scroll down to the post by chefmom. It's not just candy, it is a character building experience!

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthre...hlight=divinity

-Dad

My aunt, who is a farm wife, makes the best divinity! She beats hers by hand and when we were small it was a treat for us to take turns beatingthe goo until our little arms were sore. I've tried this with my own children but they never fall for it. :laugh:

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.