• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1987 Vina Ardanza Rioja Reserva

DCMark

I have a 1987 Rioja Reserva "Vina Ardanza" in my cellar. A recent gift from my aging father who has had it in his cellar since the early 90s (stored well on both ends).

Am I too late with this wine? Anything I should be doing/not doing (breathing, decanting, etc) when drinking it?

Thank you

Edited by DCMark (log)

You may be a little late with this wine........however the Ardanza are beautiful old school Riojas and if anybody can go beyon bintage expectation it is them. We recently had the 1996, from a simlilarly not great vintage and the acidity was stunning and it smelled like a salt and vinegar potato chip. I think you should be fine- I would not decant, rather stand up the bottle for 48 hours to get any sediment to the bottom and enjoy (hopefully)

over it

Thank you Carema. I just checked on the DOC Rioja website (DOC Rioja) and it appears both 1987 and 1996 were rated Very Good vintages, just below excellent. We will see tonight.

You may be a little late with this wine........however the Ardanza are beautiful old school Riojas and if anybody can go beyon bintage expectation it is them. We recently had the 1996, from a simlilarly not great vintage and the acidity was stunning and it smelled like a salt and vinegar potato chip. I think you should be fine- I would not decant, rather stand up the bottle for 48 hours to get any sediment to the bottom and enjoy (hopefully)

Edited by DCMark (log)

DOC Rioja website...hmmm. Doncha think these guys might be a little subjective? I searched a half a dozen "vintage" websites. Both 1996 & 1987 were rated as low as above average with caution too old or irregular warnings to outstanding hold both. I think your Rioja will be great- please post notes so we can see how it differed from the 1996. The thing is, as tempranillo ages it becomes the poster child for tertiary qualities. Meat dill, blood, toast, earth, mushrooms, vinous driven beauties with fruit definietly taking a back seat. In fruity wine obssessed critics this is a tough road to hoe. God I hope you make a hearty skillet of fatty sausage potato onion and paprika.

over it

Ok, this is my first attempt at tasting notes so be patient. Long time wine drinker but not experienced in describing it.

1987, Vina Ardanza Rioja Reserva. No price as it was obtained as a gift.

Drunk after trimming the tree. Accompanied by: Andalusian olives, prosciutto, Carles organic rocquefort, manchengo, crottin de chavignol (goat cheese, aged and dry) and another softer french goat cheese.

Color/Appearance: Not cloudy but not overly clear. Medium color depth, red-brown/rust color.

Aroma: Good deep nose. Smell of peat moss/dirt (in a good way).

Flavor: Reminiscent of some good Bordeauxs (1993) I drank recently. Strong but not overpowering flavor. Not extremely fruity but a nice lingering taste. I am terrible at identifying flavors but I tasted/smelled tobacco, earth, and plums. The wine was not very acidic and had a silky mouth-feel.

Overall I was quite pleased. It may have lost a bit of flavor but I believe the wine lasted quite well, thanks to careful storage. Little sediment.