• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Terraza las Tomasas-Granada

grace3

I live in Granada, but I have not eaten there: the references I've got about this restaurant are not good. They may be wrong, of course.

Thanks for the info..if you live there and have not heard good things, that is good enough for me...

Do you have any that you would like to tell me about??

Some suggestions of restaurants in Granada for you - I don't live there but I've visited twice - the last time was in April/May this year.

Ones I've tried:

Ajo Blanco

C/ Palacios 17, 958228128

A bar, not a restaurant. It doesn't 'serve' food but you get some excellent small tapas with your drinks. It has a wonderful collection of wines and owner Nicolas Fernandez is a kind and informative host. It's a bit hard to find, down some steps near the Santo Domingo church.

Bodega Espadafor

C/Almiceros 1-3, 958215464

Another tapas bar, a bit down at heel but rather atmospheric. the reason to come here is for its jamon asado - spit-roast pork tapa

Los Diamantes

C/Navas 26, 958227070

A tiny incredibly busy stand-up seafood bar. If you're lucky you'll get free fantastic prawns with your drink. Otherwise, they're worth paying for

Iberos y Patagonicos

C/Escudo del Carmen 36, 958220772

A newish restaurant along the lines of the 'creative cuisine' that's taken hold in Catalunya etc, unusual in Granada, eg using foam, unusual ingredient combinations. The dining room's up some stairs so you can't see in from the street. It's rather overly brightly lit.

Meson El Trillo

Callejon de Aljibe de Trillo, 958225182, www.granadainfo.com/trillo

One of my favourite albaicin restaurants, less pretentious and more affordable than the other mirador carmen restaurants, if without the views. Ring the bell on the gate to gain admission to the pretty garden terrace - best to eat here rather than inside. The chef is Basque and the menu mixes basque and andalucian cuisine. The bacalao al pil pil (salt cod in a chili-garlic sauce) is superb. Portions are huge.

Tragaluz

C/Nevot 26, 958222924

An unusual and intriguing restaurant up near the Campo del Principe on the way to the Alhambra. It's part-owned by a local celeb - writer and academic Mustafa Akalay Nasser, who seems to have set the scene here as a place for thinkers and artists to meet and argue - don't be surprised if you get dragged into a political argument over the humus. The food is influenced by Moorish and Sephardic cuisine - tagines etc, all made from meticulously researched recipes and adapted with creative touches.

Not tried

Mirador de Aixa

Carril San Agustin 2, 958223616, www.miradordeaixa.com

I didn't eat here but I did visit and talk to the owner Paco Pastor. What I saw of the food and service looked superb. It's pricey, but it seems you're actually getting good service and cooking for your money rather than just paying for the view (as Paco hinted happened at other restaurants - but then I suppose he would!). And the view is wonderful! Cod poached in oil with prawns and peppers looked particularly good. As did the chocolate lagrimas de boabdil (tears of boabdil).

Hope this helps. Have a great time!

Very good indeed, to my mind, the list by Saborosa.

I would add maybe a dozen interesting tapas' bars (some day...), but I must insist now in Restaurant Iris (Martínez Campos, 8; tel. 958 53 68 47): have eaten there four times in the past six months and I think it is nowadays the best choice in Granada for any gastromaniac.

... gastromaniac.

I trust you're referring the more obsessed diners amongst us and not to the craziest chefs. :unsure: I'll plead guilty.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.