• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adult Children

RSincere

My mom clings stubbornly to making Thanksgiving dinner herself, I'm only allowed to peel potatoes, snap green beans, maybe make pie or two.

Problem is, my mom's cooking has become more slidshod over the years, more of the "eh, that's good enough, who cares if it's cold" school of thinking. Serving Thanksgiving dinner often means I have to reheat stuff in the microwave because she puts it in the serving dish and lets it sit there for 10-20 minutes while she fusses with something.

She loves cooking as a hobby, but when it comes to Thanksgiving, it becomes such an overwhelming chore, I guess. If we cut down on the # of side dishes we probably would do a lot better, and be less likely to leave things in the kitchen in the last minute rush.

This year, she's been in the hospital for a week, sadly, and may be in there for another week, due to a bad (but treatable) infection. So when she gets out, she'll be recuperating and has already accepted an invite to another home for Thanksgiving.

Who knows, maybe this will break the cycle and she'll let me take on the mantle next year... I'll be 30 for god's sakes!

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org