• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Critics in disguise

Mimi, thanks for joining us for this Q&A. It's great to see you here. I have an ancient dog-eared copy of Visions of Sugarplums -- a book that's still in print!

What's the best disguise you have used as a restaurant reviewer? Working in New York, and with the biggest critic's job in town, wouldn't you have had to resort to ever more outlandish disguises to avoid being recognised?

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Wigs and glasses were my most effective disguises...glasses becasue I've never needed them and so they were not connected to my face, and wigs (I had 3) for obvious reasons. Eventually of course, one gets to be recognized by body (hard to disguises unless one dresses as nun or a knight) and by my husband who refused to do a Serpico, so at times, I went without him, especially at lunch.