• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Violon d'Ingres

smorris291

This thread reminded me how much I enjoyed dinner there last year. So today on the spur of the moment (and late) I went to that area, foolishly thinking I could go without a lunch reservation. At 13h30, Chez l'Ami Jean was full. It`s a quick walk to Violin d'Ingres. Unfortunately, a woman pushed in ahead of me and got the very last table.

I nonetheless had a very nice lunch next door at Constant`s café, les Cocottes. A wonderful creme of pumpkin soup with bits of chestnuts (châtaignes). A cabillaud (cod) baked with tiny potatoes and carrots, in a meat (!) sauce ("au jus de viande acidulé"). Very nice. See photo here.

The entrée and plat totaled 23 €. Next door at V d'I the prix fixe would have been 19 € for entrée and plat. That pushy French woman owes me 4 €.

Meanwhile, I really like one of the two breads they served. It was a pain de campagne from Secco, a nearby boulangerie I had never visited. I picked up half a large loaf on the way home. I buy half a large, rather than a small loaf or a baguette de compagne, because I find it has the best bottom crust.

Edited by RandyB (log)

Randy - what a big coincidence...I was at Les Cocottes at lunch today but was ahead of you. Had the cocotte of the day, dessert, wine and my special coffee for 31 euros......

Lilia was at Secco later in the day buying some bread for a little party we're having tonight at the apartment for drinks. She also got some magret de Canard sechee at Dubernet.

We're then going to Cafe Max on 7 avenue La Motte Picquet at around 9-9:30. It is a small, funky bistro that exudes charm. If you'd like to join us, please come and ask for Joan. Valdo (the charming owner) will be happy to receive you.

a bientot............