• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kola-kattai

Geetha

:biggrin::blink: How many of variations are there to its preparation do share it with me I just spellbound with the level of tastes and flavouring in layers, especially contrasting to the outer bland (and surprisingly delicious) layer of steamed roll of rice outside of it...

Only those who haven't tasted see this: Kola-kattai is the favourite of us little kids from back home when we used to ask of Lord Ganeshs favours by offering his sweet at his (birthday) on Ganesh chathurty coming on saturday this week.

Please tell me all other recipes there are.. I want Ganesh ji to know I care now.. and give him his best sweet in all its other variations too. Guess he will be happy then..

:wub:

The One I will make on this day will be a stuffing of the steamed rice paste surrounding a stuffing of jaggery and coconut( fresh now since I have one in storage ready for use when I can but otherwise dessicated one will do since it is all you can do it is okay :) )

edit: the coconut which ever state it is needs to be roasted to dry to release its moisture before you begin preparing the dish as below.

I pan fry these ingredients on a low flame with cardmom and ghee in it till it is semi-liquidy, with yummy syrup of jaggery in it, it will solidify a little as it goes cooling..

Outer shell can be prepared by adding hot water to rice powder and making a moist dough out of it. Like for chappatis or puris, here it is only rice powder used not flour.

I place small rounds of this mixture in the flattened steamed ricepowder roll, and bring the ends together smoothing the outer edge, to top pointy form. The result looks like a mushroom with a short stout.. upside down and kept or served on a platter with the round or oval base on the platter, it looks like mushrooms kept on its base upside down that is..

Any one wants to know about Ganesha's stories too.. there are different tales of his many exploits ;0) from the south of India.. very insight ful too, might help in his service ..:))

Edited by Geetha (log)

:biggrin::rolleyes::laugh: any wants to know of any song to sing on this day of Ganesh's godd birth or auspicious day of chaturty, it is what I used to sing for the day at home ..

I can post it on my creativechore groups webgroup on yahoo for you, does any one know how to post in hindi script on it I can change to english only but I'd love to translate on hindi.

Regards :shock::sad: yes this is way out of place

I love modak (thats what we call it atleast in Maharashtra). I remember my neighbor was from Goa and she used to make modak with rice paste.

She had those modak moulds that she used to get the perfect shape. I also like the cashew modak or chocolate modak. They are yummy, and you get them readymade (it tastes like candy).

Ganpati Bappa Morya :)

Rupen

Is everyone celebrating Ganesh chaturty on 18th this day of year or is it later on.. anyway just to be on the right track, wish you all a happy and wish fulfilling day of Ganesh's Birthday.

Jai Ganesh To you All there :))