• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Din din

Florida Jim

Aperitif:

2003 Pax, Rose of Syrah:

Without question the best rose I have ever tasted; fine, clean aromatics; a deep, fresh but truly full-flavored palate; and lots of finish. I will buy a case of this immediately.

With grilled shrimp with grilled pineapple and sweet chilies:

1999 St. Cosme, Condrieu:

Somewhat sherried on the nose with a rich, thick palate of tropical fruit and honey; good sustain. Not my favorite viognier but representative of the appellation.

With gnocchi, crawfish tails and a goat cheese cream sauce:

2003 Guigal, Condrieu:

The flip side of the St. Cosme; bright, refreshing, acidic and clean with a lightweight mouthfeel and plenty of cut. My preference of the two Condrieu, but I was in the minority.

With grilled veal chop and wild mushroom risotto:

1993 Ponsot, Griotte-Chambertin:

The aromatics were alive and powerful from the moment it was opened but the palate developed over and hour or so; sour cherry and a clay-mineral aromas; great intensity and flavors that follow the nose but add spice and other red fruit notes, good balance and finesse; a long finish. Does anyone make bad wine from this vineyard? This bottle is just coming into its own and needs time in the cellar or the decanter but it does not disappoint. ‘Wonderful with the dish.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim:

Agreed on the 93 Ponsot Griotte; it's really lovely, developing the nuance and subtlety that I enjoy in older burgs, but should continue to give great drinking pleasure for some time to come. Hope you still have a few remaining in the cellar. Ours was consumed last week over Sunday lunch with roast chicken, grilled hangar steak and roasted vegetables.