• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2001 Clos Chanteduc Cotes du Rhone

Jean Brislance

2001 Clos Chanteduc Cotes du Rhone – I have been a fan of Patricia Well’s cookbooks for some time now, and was aware of the fact that she had a tiny vineyard at her home in the Cotes du Rhone. Imagine my surprise when I saw a bottle of her wine, Clos Chanteduc, on the shelf at a local store. The wine is a reddish-purple color, and it is quite clear. The nose is floral and soft, with some raspberry, blackberry, fresh thyme, and black pepper. Flavors of red berry, cherry, floral and herbal notes, and some spicy black pepper towards the finish. A lighter-bodied wine, but the flavors linger, and there is a lively acidity that is quite refreshing. Delicious with my Dijon and herb crusted pork tenderloin. A nice, simple, daily drinker that doesn’t pretend to be anything more, all for $11. Bravo, Patricia!

All the best,

Jean