• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sublime

Florida Jim

With sautéed scallops in vegetable Thai curry over bean thread noodles:

2002 Huet, Vouvray Demi-Sec Le Mont:

The flavors in the wine enhanced the scallops and the slight sweetness matched the heat of the curry. This wine is one of power and finesse, has a solid backbone of minerality and acid, and defines the term breed. Diane’s comment, “the perfect choice.”

There is some tropical nuance in the nose but it is mostly chamomile, tea and fresh, ripe, white fruit; viscous on the palate with flavors that follow the nose with depth, focus and complexity; perfectly balanced and extremely persistent. The RS is minimal and is not in the least cloying; rather it acts to bolster the freshness of the wine.

I had heard that Le Mont demi’s can drink early on in their lives, and this certainly gives credence to that comment.

Wonderful wine.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim,

Thanks for the note. A few days ago I enjoyed the 2002 Domaine de la Fontainerie Vouvray Demi-Sec, Coteau les Brules and was left with impressions very similar to those you describe with the Huet, particularly as to how well integrated the sugars are into the overall body of the wine.

The several 2002 Loire Chenin Blancs I've tried all have wonderful texture and balance, regardless of their particular flavor profiles or RS levels. Between these and 2001-2003 Rieslings its hard to imagine better summer weather (and summer food) wine.

Cheers,

Tom

The several 2002 Loire Chenin Blancs I've tried all have wonderful texture and balance, regardless of their particular flavor profiles or RS levels.

Tom,

Speaking of fine chenin have you (or anyone) seen the 2002's Baumard, Savennieres for sale anywhere?

I have been looking for the regular, the Clos Papillon and Trie Speciale and have seen none of them. And all wine searcher is showing are the Coteaux du Layons.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim .I just finished drinking a 2002 vouvray,le haut lieu,sec from Huet.your lyrical description of Mont, demi sec completely express's my reaction.The fruit,elegance and the different dimensions are unique.I noticed however that after 2 hrs the wine started fading .i wonder therefore whether the wine will really improve after aging. It drinks very well now as you know.

I noticed however that after 2 hrs the wine started fading .i wonder therefore whether the wine will really improve after aging.

Pierre,

It would be a surprise to me of Biblical proportions if this wine did not cellar very well for a minimum of ten years and likely more. Perhaps, what seemed to be "fading" was just the wine closing down.

Or maybe that bottle had been cooked.

But I've been wrong before . . .

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim,

Out here in Portland, OR my retailer (who is a huge Loire fan) reports that the latest vintage of Baumard available locally is the 2000. He is checking to see when the '02s might be on the market, and I'll post when and if there is any good news to report.

Cheers,

Tom

Jim,

Out here in Portland, OR my retailer (who is a huge Loire fan) reports that the latest vintage of Baumard available locally is the 2000. He is checking to see when the '02s might be on the market, and I'll post when and if there is any good news to report.

Cheers,

Tom

Much obliged.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com