• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2001 Terragens Romio Sangiovese

Laksa

I came across the 2001 Terragens Romio Sangiovese (Italy) at my local wine store for $7.99 and a Robert Parker tasting notes and rating of 90 prominently displayed next to the bottles.

I took a bottle home and drank it. My first impressions were .... "ho-hum". I found the nose and the palate pretty much muted, but perfectly quaffable and drinking it required very little thought. I liked it, but nothing really grabbed my attention.

I'm pretty much a wine novice so would like to know if there's something I've failed to notice about this wine? I would like to know what you guys think of it.

Here's the quote from Robert Parker on-line. I don't know how these reviews work but the source is attributed to Wine Advocate.

Source Reviewer Rating Maturity Estimated Cost

Wine Advocate #152 (Apr 2004) Daniel Thomases 90 points  Drink 2005-2012 $30.00

The 2001 Romio, the best Sangiovese available from the growers, shows much tar, chocolate, and cinnamon on its nose of red fruit and violets, and the volume, length, intensity, and concentration are quite unexpected for a wine from a cooperative of this size. Drink: 2005-2012.

Terragens is new line of wines from a giant cooperative organization in Romagna, known in the past strictly for volume wine but now searching for a new credibility in the market. Consulting winemaker Attilio Pagli has shaped the wines and, in terms of numbers and price, they do represent something new in the region.

I just sampled this blind and thought it was just another uninspiring California Merlot. The bottle we had, if any indication of the wine, had no defining characteristic of Sangiovese. Perhaps Mr. Parker had an extra delicious bottle, or perhaps he should stay out of Italy. Perhaps it was his 900th taste of the day, who knows. In any event, just more proof how the numerical scores are meaningless. I too just learned that the Domaine Dujac Chambolle Grenecheurs (I think I mispelled the cru) 2002, which was in my estimation a profound burgundian experience, only recieved an 89. I still would rather have one bottle of that over 16.87 bottles of that wretched sangio!

over it

First there seems to be some confusion here. Terragens makes (at least) 3 sangiovese wines under the Romio name:

Romio Sangiovese di Romagna

Romio Sangiovese di Romagna Riserva

Romio Forli (100% sangiovese)

At a quoted price of $30 the wine reviewed would have to be the Forli as they other two wines sell for much less. At $7.99 the wine you purchased had to be the regular Sangiovese di Romagna. It is a pleasant wine and is a good bottle for that much money, but it is not the wine the Wine Advocate rated 90 pts. Honestly I would rate it a best buy at the price and it's in line for a Sottodieci selection in my newsletter.

First there seems to be some confusion here. Terragens makes (at least) 3 sangiovese wines under the Romio name:

At a quoted price of $30 the wine reviewed would have to be the Forli as they other two wines sell for much less. At $7.99 the wine you purchased had to be the regular Sangiovese di Romagna. It is a pleasant wine and is a good bottle for that much money, but it is not the wine the Wine Advocate rated 90 pts. Honestly I would rate it a best buy at the price and it's in line for a Sottodieci selection in my newsletter.

Craig, you're probably right. My local wine store plays dirty then. I wonder if the sign was inadvertant. They have enough "wine experts" on staff to make me think they should know that RP was writing about a different wine.

Craig, you're probably right. My local wine store plays dirty then. I wonder if the sign was inadvertant. They have enough "wine experts" on staff to make me think they should know that RP was writing about a different wine.

Maybe they sold out of the Forli and forgot to take the sign down. :rolleyes: