• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1997 Cline Zinfandel, Fulton Road Vineyard

Brad Ballinger

1997 Cline Zinfandel, Fulton Road Vineyard, Russian River Valley. This wine should be decanted – there’s about a shot glass full of sediment in the bottle. 1997 was the maiden bottling of this wine, and I picked it up for under $25. I’ve seen the 2000 as high as $42 retail and the 1999 as high as $79 on a restaurant list. The 1997 is 92% zinfandel, 5% syrah, and 3% alicante bouchet. It is also a damn fine bottle of wine. The aroma promises bright and bouncy zinberry fruit and the wine delivers on that promise. There are some secondary spice and herb elements, but thr fruit is the star here. It’s opulent without being overly jammy. There is still a tannic presence to provide structure and a good dose of acid to feed the finish. This is, by far, the best wine I’ve had from Cline, and shows that Cline is more than just a good QPR producer.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero