• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nanaimo

merlin

This year for a change we will be stopping in Nanaimo for a couple of days en route to our annual "recharge the batteries" vacation in Tofino in mid-October.

I am not familiar with Nanaimo at all as we usually just pass through it en route to or from Departure Bay or Victoria.

I have seen the comments about the Acme Food. Co. and Amrikko's in the threat concerning the Parksville/Qualicum area.

We are going to be staying in the downtown area and after driving from AB I expect that I will prefer to walk rather than drive anyway.

Asian [despite the recommendations of The Blue Ginger] whether Chinese, Japanese or Thai will likely not work as my "better half" is not a "big fan".

West Coast, bistro...something that both permits a fish eater like myself to get my fill of nice halibut as well as some meat options for my wife would be the best.

Price is not a big factor. A good wine list would be a bonus. However, we usually end up drinking BC wines in any event especially those which we cannot find on this side of the Rockies like Poplar Grove, Venturi-Schultze, Alderlea, etc.

The Mahle House and The Wesley Street have been recommended by others.

As far as catching the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay, can you west coasters advise if Friday afternoon lineups are an issue in Mid-October?

I'll be driving from Kamploops that day. Assuming normal highway traffic [taking the Coquihalla] and bridge back-ups what amount of time should I "guestimate" to get to the ferry terminal? 4 to 5 hours?

Thanks in advance....wish October was closer than it is.

Edited by merlin (log)

Yes, Acme is good, preferably in the evening, where the candle light and big velvet curtains do the place justice. Casual, tasty and extensive menu and great cocktails. The Frazzled Prawns, wrapped in shredded phyllo and served with a chile garlic mayo is more-ish.

Another great restaurant is Glow, high end and superb cuisine, sparkling decor, bordering on minimalist but very cozy. Lots of confit, lamb, local produce, etc. with some Asian flourishes. Excellent wine list. They have a new chef, Jeff Wenbacher (formerly of Luimere and West).

7 Victoria, Road, 250-741-8858

If you love cheese, take a trip to to the old quarter, where Wesley Street is, and pay a visit to McLean's Specialty Foods. They have a Scottish tea in the afternoon, but it is the cheese selection you really want.

And for a German bakery thrill, where pretzels are king, check out the incredible array at the Columbia Bakery on 2151 Bowen Road. They make chocolate bananas dipped in ganache but it is really the double crust caraway rye and other German breads that make this a hugely popular stop.

This should whet your appetite.

S

Shelora:

Thanks I have "scribbled" those names down.

The "frazzled prawns" sound very much like the "Popsicle prawns" that a local, relatively new spot, the Wild Tangerine serves. They too I am told use phylo v. a batter on the scewered prawns which are accompanied by a wasabi flavoured mayo dip.

Appreciate the input.

The Mahle House is not within walking distance of Downtown Nanaimo (Cedar, BC)if I remember correctly, but their little farm house and subsiquent "farm garden", and "farm charm" fed me well and the beautifully clean food and amazingly diverse wine list provided me with one of the best dining experiences of my 2002 summer.

As a true family/independent operation I trust it is unchanged but for seasonal offerings.

One of my best experiences on Vancouver Island.--EVER.

These are the gems that make food and wine such an important conduit between our earth and our souls.

Enjoy if you can...........!

Cheers,

M'd

Thanks for the correction and clarification M'd.

Reread the post and that was what the poster was trying to tell me. I misunderstood the reference to Cedar.

One web-site says it is about 10 minutes or so south of Nanaimo. Tried the website referenced [www.mahlehouse.com] without success.

As far as catching the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay, can you west coasters advise if Friday afternoon lineups are an issue in Mid-October?

Friday afternoon, mid-October shouldn't be too bad, provided "mid-October" is not the Thanksgiving weekend :wink: There are typically extra sailings on Fridays & Sundays in the off-season. Also, since they've improved the terminal at Horshoe Bay, it's not like you're waiting out on the Upper-Levels Highway like you used to. Once inside the terminal, if there's a wait, you can always drop by Troll's, Ya Ya's Oyster Bar, or the Boathouse in Horshoe Bay while you wait.

I'll be driving from Kamploops that day.  Assuming normal highway traffic [taking the Coquihalla] and bridge back-ups what amount of time should I "guestimate" to get to the ferry terminal?  4 to 5 hours?

I'd allow 5 to be safe. Kamloops is an easy 4 to Vancouver, and Horseshoe Bay is an easy hour. Traffic over the Iron Workers' Bridge is not too bad during the evening rush, even better if you're coming through midday.

DA

Much obliged Daddy-A. That is exactly the type of info I wanted.

I will allow 5 [looks like breakfast will be from the drive-thru window of "Mickey D's" or Tim Horton's as a result] and assuming the RCMP highway patrol do not "ding" me again on that gradual decline into the Nicola Valley near Merritt...ouch, that speeding does hurt the vacation pocket book...I should make it fine.

We'll be trying for the 12:30 p.m. ferry so it will be mid-day and the week-end after Thanksgiving so those factors should be in our favour.

Sounds like Horseshoe Bay is not as desolate as Tsawwassen when it comes to eats to pass the time so that is good should we miss the 12:30 and have to wait for the 3:00. Even the Boathouse I understand is not bad according to our friends from North Van who we introduced to Cru during our short visit to Burnaby.

Thanks again.

Merlin:

You've got to drive out to the Mahle House for dinner - excellent and cheap wine list and superb food.

I also hope that when you get to Tofino or before then that you set up a dinner cruise or lunch out at Clayoquot Wilderness Resort where I work - would love to host a fellow egulleter - the Black Hills Nota Bene will flow.

Paul:

That sounds like an offer too good to decline.

I'll look for the details on your website.

It is looking more and more from the comments we are receiving that despite my intention to park the van once we arrive in Nanaimo that the short trip south is in order to try out the Mahle House.

If you are thinking of having a meal in Kamloops try the Brownstone. We were there in early June and thought it was excellent. It is in a refurbished bank building - the address is 118 Victoria St and their phone number is 250.851.9939. Several of the staff had previously worked in Tofino.

Cheers,

Karole

Thanks Foodie in Van.

Will print out that recommendation for Kamloops.

In the past we have just made to with "family dining" at the Copper Kettle and a decent meal last trip at Rick's Grill.

Brownstone will probably be where we head on the way back to Alberta