• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piero Antinori is Tuscany personified ...

Gifted Gourmet

article from the Independent UK

From Tuscany comes this delightful tidbit on Tuscan winemaker, Piero Antinori. As the article notes, Antinori is Tuscany personified.

When you drink an Antinori chianti, you're absorbing a drop of Florentine history and tasting Tuscany's landscape of rolling wooded hills, olive groves, vineyards and medieval stone buildings. Red wine has oozed from the family vines for as long as Florentine blood has been coursing through the Antinori veins.

But what I found even more interesting was this line:

Within earshot of two of Piero's three daughters, Cottarella tells me that he sees the future of Italian winemaking in women's hands: "I think women in Italy are more committed and they are more anxious to succeed than men." The three sisters, Albiera, Allegra and Alessia, show every sign of doing just that, as they take on more responsibilities.

Opinions on the idea of women making strides in wine making in Europe now?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

More than 30 years ago, I bought some bottles of Tignanello on a friend's recommendation . Awful stuff! I've never bought any of the Antinori wines since then. So your post, Craig Camp, resonates with me.

More than 30 years ago, I bought some bottles of Tignanello on a friend's recommendation . Awful stuff! I've never bought any of the Antinori wines since then. So your post, Craig Camp, resonates with me.

Tignanello was the exact opposite of Le Pergole Torte. Give me Montevertine any day over any of the Antinori wines.

Antinori doesn't do much for me, but I'll leave it at that.

As far as women, it could just be that Italy is starting to catch up with the rest of the world. Antinori bringing the daughters into the fold is hardly leading edge. But I hope they have more influence, and are dedictated to once again making interesting wine.

Bartolo Mascarello, one of the most stauchest of traditionalists in Barolo has turned over his cantine to his daughter. And she is determined to remain a traditionalist producer. Many of the sons who are taking over are going the modern route, and not just in Piedmont.

As a side note, there is a restaurant in Chicago (the name of which escapes me right now, and I'm too lazy to look it up) that features wines on the list from male and female producers. They keep a running tally in the restaurant as to which gender is leading the race in terms of number of bottles sold. Last I heard it was pretty close to 50-50.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero